L. M. van Wijk
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Van Wijk studied at University of Amsterdam, receiving a Master's degree in Econometrics in 1971. He joined KLM Royal Dutch Airlines on that year, starting with various positions in Automation Services. In 1977 he moved to Cargo Division, being appointed Manager Cargo Handling in March 1979. Successive career moves were Manager Cargo Marketing in 1983, and Vice President KLM Marketing in 1984, Deputy to the Senior Vice President Commercial Services in 1987, and Senior Vice President Corporate Development in 1989.
Van Wijk was also a skilled athlete. He played soccer for AFC Ajax and was in the same teams as Johan Cruyff albeit he never reached the first team. As a baseball player he reached the first team of Ajax who then appeared in the Dutch major league. He made his debut in 1964 in the major league with Ajax against the Haarlem Nicols in the seventh inning and hit a home run. His position was shortstop.
Van Wijk joined KLM’s Board of Managing Directors on January 1, 1991. With the reorganization of the company's top management, effective January 1, 1997, he took on the responsibilities of Chief Operating Officer (COO) as a member of the Board. Leo van Wijk became KLM’s President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on August 6, 1997. His term ended in 2007.
- - The Board of Directors of Northwest Airlines
- - The Supervisory Board of Martinair
- - The Advisory Council of ABN AMRO
- - The Supervisory Board of Aegon
- - The Supervisory Board of Randstad Holding
- "Leo M. van Wijk: Executive Profile (skyteam.com)". Schiphol, Netherlands: SkyTeam Alliance. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- "Leo van Wijk". Annual General Meeting » AGM 2006 » Speakers. Montreal, Quebec, Canada: IATA. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- "Leo M. van Wijk Profile". New York: Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved March 21, 2011. This source also has Director Compensation (Aegon NV) 2005–2009
- "Air France - Corporate : Leo M. van Wijk, Vice-Chairman of the AIR FRANCE KLM Board of Directors". Paris, France: Air France. Retrieved March 21, 2011.
- Ajax-nieuws, maandblad, nummer 6, juni 1963 pagina 4