L. Nageswara Rao
Lavu Nageswara Rao
|Judge of the Supreme Court of India|
|Assumed office |
13 May 2016
|Nominated by||Collegium of the Supreme Court of India CJI T. S. Thakur|
|Appointed by||Pranab Mukherjee|
|Born||8 June 1957|
Pedanandipadu, Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh
Justice L. Nageswara Rao is a serving judge of the Supreme Court of India. He is the 7th person elevated directly from the bar to the Supreme Court and was sworn in on May 13, 2016. He was a Senior advocate and a former Additional Solicitor General of India.
He practiced before Andra Pradesh High Court before shifting his practice to the Supreme Court of India. He was designated as a Senior Advocate in 2000. He was one of the most highly paid lawyers in the country.
He appeared in Karnataka High Court for J. Jayalalita in the Disproportionate assets case and was successful in reversing the trail court Judgement and getting her acquitted. One of the last cases he argued before the Supreme Court of India was NEET case in which he appeared for State of Tamil Nadu and Christian Medical College.
He served as an Additional Solicitor General of India thrice. Firstly under NDA government from August 8, 2003 till his resignation in 2004. UPA Government appointed him as A.S.G. in August,2013 and he resigned in May,2014. His third stint as A.S.G. was from June 7 to December 15, 2014 under the present Government.
Commission of Inquiry
He was also a member of the Supreme Court-appointed Mudgal Committee headed by Justice Mukul Mudgal and comprising senior advocate and former cricket umpire Nilay Dutta as the other member. The committee is tasked with conducting an independent inquiry into allegations of corruption, betting and spot-fixing in Indian Premier League matches.
- "Supreme Court To Get 4 New Judges On Friday". NDTV.com.
- "The Hindu : Solidity personified". www.thehindu.com.
- "Collegium recommends sr csl Nageswara Rao + 3 others for SC judgeship". 4 May 2016.
- Shrivastava, Prachi (8 September 2015). "How much do Delhi's top advocates charge?". Mint.
- "L Nageswara Rao recommended for the post of SC judge". 5 May 2016.
- "Second time, it's a yes! L Nageswara Rao's change of mind". 4 May 2016.
- "The Hindu : New Additional Solicitor-General for SC". www.thehindu.com.
- Pathak, Gaurav (15 December 2014). "L Nageswara Rao resigns as ASG, submits resignation to Union Law Minister". www.livelaw.in.
- Spot fixing: Mudgal panel examines three Indian players Archived 2014-10-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "Supreme Court asks Mudgal committee to complete probe within two months". 1 September 2014.