L. Paige Marvel
|Judge of the United States Tax Court|
December 3, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
April 6, 1998 – April 6, 2013
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Lawrence Wright|
December 6, 1949 |
Easton, Maryland, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Maryland, Baltimore|
Early life and education
Marvel was born in Maryland and graduated magna cum laude from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland (now the Notre Dame of Maryland University) in 1971. She earned her J.D. with honors from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1974, where she was awarded Order of the Coif, a member of the Maryland Law Review and of the Moot Court Board.
Marvel was appointed by President Bill Clinton as Judge, United States Tax Court, on April 6, 1998, for a term ending April 5, 2013. On April 6, 2013, Marvel took senior status. She was subsequently re-nominated to the position by President Barack Obama for an additional fifteen year term on July 30, 2013. On January 15, 2014, Marvel testified before the Senate Finance Committee, "detailed her experiences during her first term as a Tax Court judge and said that if confirmed, she would continue to approach cases with an "open mind and a commitment to justice."" On February 4, 2014, the Senate Finance Committee "approved the nominations of Tamara W. Ashford and L. Paige Marvel to serve as U.S. Tax Court judges." On November 20, 2014, the United States Senate Senate has confirmed her by voice vote to a second 15-year term. She assumed office for a second term on December 3, 2014.
- 1988-1998: Partner, Venable, Baetjer & Howard L.L.P."
- 1986-1988: Shareholder, Melnicove, Kaufman, Weiner, Smouse & Garbis
- 1985-1986: Shareholder, Garbis, Marvel & Junghans
- 1976-1985: Shareholder, Garbis & Schwait
- 1974-1976: Associate, Garbis & Schwait
Awards and associations
- 1996-2003: Loyola/Notre Dame Library, Inc. Board of Trustees
- 1996-1998: Fellow and former Regent, American College of Tax Counsel
- 1996-1998: Board of Governors, Maryland State Bar Association
- 1995-2001: University of Maryland Law School Board of Visitors
- 1993-1995: Vice-Chair, ABA Section of Taxation, Committee Operations
- 1990-1998: Co-editor, Procedure Department, The Journal of Taxation
- 1989-1991: Member, Commissioner's Review Panel on IRS Integrity
- 1989-1992: ABA Council Director
- 1988-1990: Board of Governors, Maryland State Bar Association
- 1988-1998: Advisor, ALI Restatement of Law Third-The Law Governing Lawyers
- 1986–Present: Advisory Committee, University of Baltimore Graduate Tax Program
- 1984-1990: Section Council, Federal Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- 1985-1987: Section Council, Federal Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- 1982-1983: Chair, Taxation Section
- 1981-1987: Member and Chair, Procedure Subcommittee, Commission to Revise the Annotated Code of Maryland, (Tax Provisions)
- 1978-1981: Member, Advisory Commission to the Maryland State Department of Economic and Community Development
- 2002: 1st Annual Tax Excellence Award, Maryland State Bar Assn. Tax Section
- 1998: Maryland's Top 100 Women for 1998
- 1995: ABA Tax Section's Distinguished Service Award
- 1991-1998: Best Lawyers in America
- 1982-1983: MSBA Distinguished Service Award
- U.S. Tax Court biography of L. Paige Marvel from the Internet Archive.
- "President Obama Nominates L. Paige Marvel to the United States Tax Court". US White House, Office of the Press Secretary. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "TAX COURT JUDGE NOMINEE MARVEL TESTIFIES BEFORE FINANCE COMMITTEE". Tax Notes Today (2014 TNT 11-30). January 2014.
- Shreve, Meg (February 2014). "FINANCE COMMITTEE APPROVES ASHFORD AND MARVEL FOR TAX COURT". Tax Notes Today. 2014 TNT 25-5.
|Judge of the United States Tax Court
|Judge of the United States Tax Court