A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LANDR is an online, cloud-based, automated mastering service developed by MixGenius in Montreal, QC. It allows for the upload of audio tracks in various formats which are then instantly digitally mastered using artificial intelligence algorithms. Free and paid services are offered. In July 2017, LANDR added digital music distribution services, which allow users to push their work to popular streaming platforms like Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music and others.
Traditional audio mastering is done by one or more mastering engineers in a specialized mastering studio with analog and/or digital equipment. LANDR's mastering process, however, is completely automated through the use of algorithms based on automated mastering research performed at the Center for Digital Music (C4DM) at Queen Mary University of London. In September 2017, LANDR expanded to allow artists to sell their music online. LANDR’s digital distribution platform launched globally in 9 languages.
LANDR currently only offers cloud-based mastering. User input is limited to coarse intensity selection however further customization is planned. LANDR accepts most audio formats of any size and length. Users upload the file to LANDR's servers which perform the mastering and prepare an output file for download. The free service offers 2 (two) Low-Res. 192k MP3 mastered downloads, while paid options are either 4 or unlimited uncompressed WAVs per month.
In a Pitchfork feature about mastering, Jordan Kisner noted that responses from users of LANDR were generally mixed, reasoning that they found the site's technology to not be "flexible or intelligent" and that "You get what you pay for: a computer algorithm, rather than a live engineer with taste and experience."
- "Making Money On The Music Mix: Meet MixGenius". Forbes.com. 2014-06-16. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- Bouchard, Greg (2014-07-25). "Will LANDR replace music engineers?". Noisey Vice. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "LANDR Introduces Worldwide Distribution - Music Connection". www.musicconnection.com. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "Upstart 25: LANDR Audio". CNBC. February 28, 2017. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Kisner, Jordan (May 19, 2016). "The Dark Art of Mastering Music". Pitchfork. Retrieved September 20, 2018.