An old Czech pack of LD cigarettes, with a Czech text warning at the bottom of the pack
|Previous owners||Liggett Ducat, Gallaher Group|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LD (cigarette).|
LD (short for Liggett Ducat, the name of the original manufacturer) is a Russian brand of cigarettes, currently owned by Japan Tobacco. In the United States, it is manufactured in Turkey for JT International U.S.A.
LD was first launched in Russia in 1999 and quickly became Russia's number one cigarette brand. Liggett Ducat was bought in 2000 by the Gallaher Group, which in turn was acquired by JTI in 2007. The original Liggett Ducat factory, where LD was manufactured, was shut down in 2016.
In 2016, JTI announced they would introduce the LD brand on the United States cigarette market with the Red, Silver and Menthol (Green) varieties. The brand would become a discount brand and would have a $2.81-a-pack price tag. It aimed to challenge discount brands such as L&M which cost $3.69 and Pall Mall which cost $3.49. LD was introduced in North Carolina and South Carolina to act as a test market and, if successful, it would be launched nationwide in 2017 with 10 varieties.
LD is mainly sold in Russia, but is or was also sold in Denmark, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Egypt, Belarus, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, South Africa, Singapore, Romania, Israel, Mongolia, Taiwan, Canada, Jordan and the United States.
- "Japan Tobacco Bringing Low-Priced Cigarette Brand to U.S." Cspdailynews.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Liggett-Ducat, CJSC: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Mickle, Tripp (18 July 2016). "Japan Tobacco Brings Cheap Cigarettes to the U.S." Wsj.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco Muscles Into American Market With LD Brand - NACS – Media – News Archive". Convenience.org. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco Has High Hopes for Low-Priced Cigarettes - Convenience Store News". Csnews.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco faces stiff challenge in trying to light up sales for discount brand". Journalnow.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco Introduces Inexpensive Cigarette Brand to U.S. - Convenience Store Decisions". Cstoredecisions.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- Broughton, Philip Delves (17 September 2016). "Canny marketing makes cigarettes hot property". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "BrandLD - Cigarettes Pedia". Cigarettespedia.com. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "LD". Zigsam.at. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Brands". cigarety.by. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
|This product article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|