The LGBT Network was founded as a not for profit organisation in April 2008 and operated throughout Europe and was credited with launching a petition for same-sex marriage at the Scottish Parliament in January 2009.
McDowall launched a petition in 2008 calling on the Scottish Parliament to lift the ban on gay and bisexual men donating blood. The petition received high level support from Ross Finnie MSP, Alyn Smith MEP and Struan Stevenson MEP 
- Charity Registration - http://www.oscr.org.uk/CharityIndexDetails.aspx?id=SC040190
- Marriage Equality Petition - PE1239 - http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/petitions/docs/PE1239.htm
- "Partners in Advocacy". Partners in Advocacy. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-17. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- Grew, Tony (2008-04-15). "Scots Parliament considers gay blood ban". PinkNews.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "Blood Transfusion Service rejects gay donor calls". Herald Scotland. 2008-11-05. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "BBC NEWS | Scotland | Gay blood donor appeal rejected". Swba.se. 2008-11-04. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "'Unfair' ban on gay blood donors to stay - Health - Scotsman.com". News.scotsman.com. 2008-11-04. Retrieved 2012-05-06.