Homosexuality in Portugal was made a criminal act in 1886, but was decriminalised in 1982.
- 1999 - Gays and bisexuals can serve the Army.
- 2001 - De facto union is recognised.
- 2004 - Sexual orientaion is no longer seen as a discriminative factor.
- 2007 - Homophobic acts are criminalized.
- 2010 - Same-sex marriage is legalized, Portugal being the 8th country to legalize same-sex marriage.
- 2015 - Same-sex adoption is legalized. To the date, only co-adoption was legal.
 Same-sex marriage in Portugal was legalized in 2010.