LGBT rights in Alaska
|LGBT rights in Alaska|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since January 1, 1980|
|Gender identity/expression||Sex change legal|
|Discrimination protections||Sexual orientation covered in public employment|
|Same sex marriage legal since October 12, 2014
(Hamby v. Parnell)
|Adoption||Legal since October 12, 2014
(Hamby v. Parnell)
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in the U.S. state of Alaska face some legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT Alaskans.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Alaska permits adoption by same-sex couples.
An executive order prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation in state employment since 2002. There is no provision for gender identity in any law. In 2015, representative Andy Josephson filed a bill banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, the bill is HB 19 and has two co-sponsors.
Hate crime laws
State law does not address hate crimes based on gender identity or sexual orientation.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||(Since January 1, 1980)|
|Equal age of consent|
|Recognition of same-sex marriages||(Since October 12, 2014)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples||(Since October 12, 2014)|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples||(Since October 12, 2014)|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples||(Since October 12, 2014)|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Equal access to IVF|
|Sexual orientation||Gender identity or gender expression|
|Anti-discrimination laws in public employment||(Since March 5, 2002)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in private employment|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the public accommodations|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the housing|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the credit and lending services|
|Hate crime law|
|Ban on conversion therapy|
- "Alaska Sodomy Law". Hrc.org. March 12, 2007. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- Human Rights Campaign: Alaska Non-Discrimination Law AO-96 (S-1) , accessed May 15, 2011
- Bowman, Bonney (12 March 2015). "Alaska ranks low on LGBT discrimination issues". KTVA Alaska. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "An Act adding to the powers and duties of the State Commission for Human Rights; and relating to and prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity or expression". Alaska State Legislature. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Anchorage Passes Non-Discrimination Ordinance, Forty Percent of Alaska Now Protected." Human Rights Campaign, 30 Sept. 2015. Web. 11 Oct. 2015. <http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/anchorage-passes-non-discrimination-ordinance-forty-percent-of-alaska-now-p>.
- "Juneau Assembly passes long-awaited equal rights ordinance". Alaska Republic. 23 August 2016.
- Human Rights Campaign: Alaska Hate Crimes Law, accessed May 15, 2011