LGBT rights in Aruba
|LGBT rights in Aruba|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal|
|· Same-sex unions
· Same-sex marriages performed in the Netherlands recognized
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Aruba may face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Both male and female same-sex sexual activity is legal in Aruba, but same-sex couples with Dutch nationality must travel to the Netherlands or its special municipalities to get married and legal protection of marriage is not unconditional.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Same-sex sexual activity is legal in Aruba.
Recognition of same-sex relationships
As part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Aruba is obliged to recognize same-sex marriages registered in the Netherlands as valid. The Aruban government initially did not recognize these marriages, but was challenged by a lesbian couple who had legally married in the Netherlands and then moved to the island. The case went to the Dutch Supreme Court, which ruled on 13 April 2007 that the Kingdom's constituent countries must recognize all of each others marriages.
In April 2015, representatives of all four constituent countries agreed that same-sex couples should have equal rights throughout the Kingdom. The same month a registered partnership bill was submitted to parliament.
On the 22 August 2016, Desiree de Sousa - Croes, an openly gay Senator, who married her same sex partner in the Netherlands, introduced a bill to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples. However, the vote to introduce the bill to legalize unions for same-sex couples was postponed to 8 September 2016, since some Members of Parliament support civil unions for same-sex couples, others still need to make up their minds.
On September 8, 2016, the Arubian parliament ruled to recognize same-sex civil unions.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal|
|Equal age of consent|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas|
|Same-sex marriages||/ (recognized when performed in the Netherlands)|
|Same-sex civil unions||(Since 2016)|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays allowed to serve in the military||(the Netherlands responsible for defence)|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gays male couples||(Banned for heterosexual couples as well)|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- Citizens of Aruba have the Dutch nationality by jus sanguinis.
- State-sponsored Homophobia A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults
- "Caribbean island Aruba has to recognize gay marriage: Dutch supreme court". Yahoo! News. 13 April 2007. Retrieved 16 April 2007.[dead link]
- "This island in the Caribbean is about to make history. But they need your help.". All Out. Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- "Aruba Parliament approves civil unions for same-sex couples". Yahoo News. AP. 9 September 2016. Archived from the original on 9 September 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.