LGBT rights in Greenland
|LGBT rights in Greenland|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since 1933,
age of consent equalized in 1977 (Danish law)
|Military service||Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly (Danish military)|
|Discrimination protections||Sexual orientation protections (see below)|
|Same-sex marriage from 1. October 2015|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) rights in Greenland are very similar to those in Denmark. Same-sex sexual activity is legal, with an equal age of consent, and there are broad anti-discrimination laws. Furthermore, same-sex couples have access to registered partnerships, which provide them with nearly all of the rights provided to married opposite-sex couples.
In 1979, Denmark granted Greenland autonomy under the Home Rule Act, although it still influences the island's culture and politics.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Recognition of same-sex relationships
Denmark's marriage law, as supported by the government of Greenland, was postponed in 2014 because of early parliamentary elections held in November 2014. A bill to legalise same-sex marriage in Greenland had its first reading on 25 March 2015 and was approved unanimously on a second reading held on 26 May 2015. The law will come into effect on 1 October 2015. However, in order that the provisions of the royal decree to this effect would be fully implementable legislation has to be ratified by the Folketing (Denmark's national Parliament).
Greenland's Registered Partnership Law will be repealed on same day that the same-sex marriage law comes into effect.
Adoption and family planning
Currently, there is only a chance at step-adoption, lesbians are also granted more parental rights than gay men, as a law regarding IVF for female couples was legalized in 2006. Joint adoption of same-sex couples will be legal on 1 October 2015.
Denmarks's anti-discrimination laws apply to Greenland.
LGBT rights movement in Greenland
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||(Since 1933)|
|Equal age of consent||(Since 1977)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in hate crime||(Since 2010)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment||(Since 2010)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Same-sex marriage(s)||(From 1 October 2015)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples||(Since 1996)|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples||(Since 2009)|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples||(From 1 October 2015)|
|Gays allowed to serve in the military||(Since 1978; Denmark responsible for defence)|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians||(Since 2006)|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- Nuuk Pride
- Politics of Greenland
- LGBT rights in Denmark
- LGBT rights in Europe
- LGBT rights in the Americas
- Greenland Reports
- Yuval Merin, Equality for same-sex couples. Published in 2002.
- (Danish) Aleqa: Der er forskelsbehandling på homo og heteroseksuelle par
- (Danish) 
- (Danish) 
- "Parliament in Greenland unanimously approves same-sex marriage". Pink News. 27 May 2015.
- (Danish) 
- (Danish) Anordning om ikrafttræden for Grønland af lov om ændring af lov om registreret partnerskab m.v.
- Gay Greenland (Denmark)
- "Ny landsforening for lesbiske, bøsser, bisexuelle og transkønnede". Greenlandic Broadcasting Corporation, August 18, 2014.
- "Nuuk: 1st Gay Pride parade on May 15". Sikunews. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "Nuuk's Gay Pride parade a success". Sikunews. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- Allen, Dan. "WorldWatch: Greenland's First Gay Pride | Gay & Lesbian Travel Guides". Trip Out Gay Travel. Retrieved 19 January 2011.