LGBT rights in Greenland
|LGBT rights in Greenland|
Location of Greenland
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since 1933,
age of consent equalized in 1977 (Danish law)
|Military service||Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly (Joint Defence Command)|
|Discrimination protections||Sexual orientation protections (see below)|
|Same-sex marriage from 1 April 2016|
|Adoption||Full adoption rights from 1 July 2016|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) rights in Greenland are very similar to those in Denmark. Same-sex sexual activity is legal, with an equal age of consent, and there are broad anti-discrimination laws. Same-sex couples have access to registered partnerships, which provide them with nearly all of the rights provided to married opposite-sex couples. Registered partnerships will be replaced with marriage from 1 April 2016.
In 1979, Denmark granted Greenland autonomy under the Home Rule Act and in 2009 extended self-government, although it still influences the island's culture and politics.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Recognition of same-sex relationships
Same-sex marriage will become legal on 1 April 2016. Greenland's parliament has approved same-sex marriage legislation, though a change in Danish law was required to implement it. The Folketing approved the proposal on 19 January 2016 and the bill was given Royal Assent on 3 February 2016. The law will come into effect on 1 April 2016.
Application in Greenland of Denmark's Registered Partnership Act, which currently applies to Greenland only, would be repealed the day the new law takes effect.
Adoption and family planning
Currently, there is only a chance at step-adoption, lesbians are also granted more parental rights than gay men, as a law regarding IVF for female couples was legalized in 2006. Joint adoption of same-sex couples was to be legal on 1 October 2015, but bill L122, which included both same-sex marriage, adoption rights and other changes to Greenlandic family law lapsed due to the Danish general election in June. The parliamentary procedure will therefore have to start over and the new Liberal government put an identical bill on the agenda for its first reading on 5 November 2015 as L35. The Folketing approved the proposal on 19 January 2016 and the bill was given Royal Assent on 3 February, 2016. The part of the law in regard to same-sex adoption will come into effect on 1 July 2016.
Denmarks's anti-discrimination laws apply to Greenland.
LGBT rights movement in Greenland
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||(Since 1933)|
|Equal age of consent||(Since 1977)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in hate crime||(Since 2010)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment||(Since 2010)|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Same-sex marriage(s)||(from 2016)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples||(Since 1996)|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples||(Since 2009)|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples||(from 2016)|
|Gays allowed to serve in the military||(Since 1978; Joint Defence Command responsible)|
|Access to IVF for lesbians||(Since 2006)|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- Nuuk Pride
- Politics of Greenland
- LGBT rights in Denmark
- LGBT rights in Europe
- LGBT rights in the Americas
- Greenland Reports
- Yuval Merin, Equality for same-sex couples. Published in 2002.
- L 35 Forslag til lov om ændring af myndighedsloven for Grønland, lov om ikrafttræden for Grønland af lov om ægteskabets retsvirkninger, retsplejelov for Grønland og kriminallov for Grønland
- "Gay Weddings To Begin in Grrenland April 1st". 6 February 2016.
- (Danish) Anordning om ikrafttræden for Grønland af lov om ændring af lov om registreret partnerskab m.v.
- UGEPLAN FOR FOLKETINGET 2. november - 8. november 2015 (UGE 45)
- Gay Greenland (Denmark)
- "Ny landsforening for lesbiske, bøsser, bisexuelle og transkønnede". Greenlandic Broadcasting Corporation, August 18, 2014.
- "Nuuk: 1st Gay Pride parade on May 15". Sikunews. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- "Nuuk's Gay Pride parade a success". Sikunews. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- Allen, Dan. "WorldWatch: Greenland's First Gay Pride | Gay & Lesbian Travel Guides". Trip Out Gay Travel. Retrieved 19 January 2011.