LGBT rights in Palau
|LGBT rights in Palau|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal|
|Military service||Has no military|
Same-sex sexual activity is legal in Palau since 23 July 2014, when the current penal code took effect. Previously, male same-sex sex sexual activity was illegal and punishable by up to ten years in prison; however, female same-sex activity was legal. In October 2011, the island's government promised the full decriminalisation.
Palau’s constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Palau constitutionalized the same-sex marriage ban in 2008. The ban was among the 22 amendments passed during the November 4, 2008 referendum.
Open displays of affection between same-sex partners may offend.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||Since 2014|
|Equal age of consent||Since 2014|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment only|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (Incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Same-sex marriage||(Constitutional ban since 2008)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military||Has no military|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- "GayNZ.com Palau decriminalises sex between men". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- New Penal Code takes effect
- State-sponsored Homophobia A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults
- "Decriminalizing homosexuality step to genuine legal equality". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Palau". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "C2D - Centre for research on direct democracy". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal » Blog Archive » The Rights and Liberties of the Palau Constitution by Kevin Bennardo". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Palau travel advice - GOV.UK". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related law is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about Palau is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|