LGBT rights in Saint Lucia
|LGBT rights in Saint Lucia|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Male illegal
|Up to 10 years imprisonment as well as a fine.|
Illegality of male homosexuality
Homosexuality is illegal for males in Saint Lucia. Female homosexual acts are legal.
Criminal Code, No. 9 of 2004 (Effective January 1, 2005)
- Gross Indecency 
- Section 132.
- (1) Any person who commits an act of gross indecency with another person commits an offence and is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for ten years or on summary conviction to five years.
- (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an act of gross indecency committed in private between an adult male person and an adult female person, both of whom consent.
- (3) For the purposes of subsection (2) —
- (a) an act shall be deemed not to have been committed in private if it is committed in a public place; and
- (b) a person shall be deemed not to consent to the commission of such an act if —
- (i) the consent is extorted by force, threats or fear of bodily harm or is obtained by false and fraudulent representations as to the nature of the act;
- (ii) the consent is induced by the application or administration of any drug, matter or thing with intent to intoxicate or stupefy the person; or (iii) that person is, and the other party to the act knows or has good reason to believe that the person is suffering from a mental disorder.
- (4) In this section “gross indecency” is an act other than sexual intercourse (whether natural or unnatural) by a person involving the use of the genital organs for the purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire.”
- Section 133.
- (1) A person who commits buggery commits an offence and is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for —
- (a) life, if committed with force and without the consent of the other person;
- (b) ten years, in any other case.
- (2) Any person who attempts to commit buggery, or commits an assault with intent to commit buggery, commits an offence and is liable to imprisonment for five years.
- (3) In this section “buggery” means sexual intercourse per anus by a male person with another male person.”
Opposition to the UN declaration
Saint Lucia was also the only UN member in the Americas to formally oppose the UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||For male (Penalty: Up to 10 years imprisonment and a fine) / For female|
|Equal age of consent||For male / For female|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military||Has no military|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- Politics of Saint Lucia
- LGBT rights in the Commonwealth of Nations
- LGBT rights in La Francophonie
- LGBT rights in the Americas
- LGBT rights by country or territory
- ILGA, State Sponsored Homophobia 2013, p.93
- General Assembly: 70th and 71st plenary meeting, morning session, 02:32:00