LGBT rights in Vanuatu
|LGBT rights in Vanuatu|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Vanuatu may face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Households headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for the same legal protections available to opposite-sex married couples.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Recognition of same-sex unions
In October 2013, the Minister for Internal Affairs issued a warning, which says that pastors are not allowed to preside over same-sex marriages.
Vanuatu is a socially conservative country. Gay and lesbian travellers (and citizens) are advised to avoid public displays of affection. There is no active gay scene in Vanuatu.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||Since 2007|
|Equal age of consent||Since 2007|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment only|||
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (Incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- State-sponsored Homophobia A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults
- "Pacific.scoop.co.nz » Taboo topic, but some see hope for Pacific change with marriage 'equality' in NZ". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Vanuatu HIV and Human Rights Legislative Compliance Review:March 2009 page 20
- "Vanuatu government warns pastors and resorts against gay marriage ceremonies". Radio New Zealand. 14 October 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Vanuatu Government warns against holding same-sex weddings". Gay Star News. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Lonely Planet - Gay & Lesbian Travellers".
- http://ilga.org/downloads/02_ILGA_State_Sponsored_Homophobia_2016_ENG_WEB_150516.pdf pag. 12