LGBT rights in Vanuatu
|LGBT rights in Vanuatu|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Vanuatu may face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Households headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for the same legal protections available to opposite-sex married couples.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Recognition of same-sex unions
In October 2013, the Minister for Internal Affairs issued a warning, which says that pastors are not allowed to preside over same-sex marriages.
There is no general prohibition of employment discrimination based on sexual orientation in Vanuatu. However, Section 18.2(f) of the Teaching Service Act 2013 establishes the obligation of the Vanuatu Teaching Service Commission not to discriminate the recruitment, promotion, professional development, transfer and all other aspects of the management of its employees on the basis of “sexual preference”.
Vanuatu is a socially conservative country. Gay and lesbian travellers (and citizens) are advised to avoid public displays of affection. There is no active gay scene in Vanuatu.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal||Since 2007|
|Equal age of consent||Since 2007|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment only|||
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (Incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- State-sponsored Homophobia A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults Archived 19 July 2013 at WebCite
- "Pacific.scoop.co.nz » Taboo topic, but some see hope for Pacific change with marriage 'equality' in NZ". Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Vanuatu HIV and Human Rights Legislative Compliance Review:March 2009 page 20
- "Vanuatu government warns pastors and resorts against gay marriage ceremonies". Radio New Zealand. 14 October 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Vanuatu Government warns against holding same-sex weddings". Gay Star News. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "The Teaching Service Act 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Lonely Planet - Gay & Lesbian Travellers".
- http://ilga.org/downloads/02_ILGA_State_Sponsored_Homophobia_2016_ENG_WEB_150516.pdf pag. 12