LGBT rights in the Federated States of Micronesia
|LGBT rights in Federated States of Micronesia|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal|
|Military service||Has no military|
|No recognition of same-sex couples|
While homosexual activity is legal in the Federated States of Micronesia, LGBT individuals do not have any legal protections in terms of discrimination legislation or hate crimes.
Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Same-sex sexual activity is legal.
Recognition of same-sex couples
There is no recognition of same-sex marriage, civil unions, or any other legal recognition for same-sex couples. It is unknown if there is a debate within the country to allow for such,[peacock term] nor is there information regarding Micronesian's attitudes towards such legislation. While same-sex marriage is not permissible, no law within the Federated States of Micronesia prohibits two people of the same gender from marrying,[not in citation given] thus making same-sex marriage de facto illegal.
While holding hands with someone of the same sex is not frowned upon in the Federated States of Micronesia, public displays of romantic same-sex affection is rarely apparent in public settings. A UK-based travel group also wrote about the status almost identically, also citing that locals may be offended by open displays of romantic love between two people of the same sex. According to a write-up from the United States Department of State, "There were no reports of societal violence or discrimination against homosexuals or against persons with HIV/AIDS." Another publication released by the Asia Pacific Coalition on Male Sexual Health printed that both male and female homosexuality are legal.
Currently, there is no active military for the Federated States of Micronesia, though should such a need arise, the United States is responsible for its defense per mutual agreement.
|Same-sex sexual activity legal|
|Equal age of consent|
|Anti-discrimination laws in employment only|
|Anti-discrimination laws in the provision of goods and services|
|Anti-discrimination laws in all other areas (Incl. indirect discrimination, hate speech)|
|Recognition of same-sex couples|
|Step-child adoption by same-sex couples|
|Joint adoption by same-sex couples|
|Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military||Has no military|
|Right to change legal gender|
|Access to IVF for lesbians|
|Commercial surrogacy for gay male couples|
|MSMs allowed to donate blood|
- "State-Sponsored Homophobia" (PDF). Old.ilga.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 July 2013. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Marriage". Fsmlaw.org. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Culture of Federated States of Micronesia - history, people, traditions, women, beliefs, food, customs, family, social". Everyculture.com. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090217190921/http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/federated-states-micronesia. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved 4 September 2009. Missing or empty
- "Micronesia, Federated States of". U.S. Department of State. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "A report on MSM and the Pacific REgion" (PDF). Nfi.net. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- [dead link]
- "Homosexuality in Micronesia". Micsem.org. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "The World Factbook". Cia.gov. Retrieved 27 July 2015.