LG Optimus One
LG Optimus One P500 back
|Compatible networks||GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900) |
UMTS/HSPA tri-band (900/1700/2100)
HSDPA 7.2 Mbit/s
GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32-48 kbit/s
CDMA EVDO Rev. A (800/1900-Global, 1800-Korea LG U+ Variant Korean Pcs)
|First released||January 28, 2010|
|Predecessor||LG GT540 Optimus|
|Successor||LG Optimus 2X|
|Related||LG Optimus series|
|Dimensions||113.5 mm (4.47 in) H |
59 mm (2.3 in) W
13.3 mm (0.52 in) D
|Mass||129 g (4.6 oz)|
|CPU||Qualcomm 600 MHz ARM1136EJ-S |
|GPU||Qualcomm Adreno 200|
|Memory||512 MB SDRAM|
|Storage||512 MB flash EEPROM (140 or 170 MB user addressable)|
|Removable storage||2 GB microSD (supports up to 32 GB, with the exception of Optimus T)|
1,500 mAh, 5.6 Wh, 3.7 V
Internal Rechargeable Li-ion
|Data inputs||Multi-touch capacitive touchscreen (plastic) |
|Display||TFT LCD, 3.2 in (81 mm) diagonal |
320×480px HVGA @ 180ppi
2:3 aspect-ratio wide-screen
|Rear camera||VGA video recording (640×480 px, MPEG4 at 18 fps max.)|
Europe and Asia 3-megapixels
United States and Canada 3.15 megapixels (2048×1536 px max.)
|Connectivity||3.5 mm audio jack |
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR with A2DP
FM stereo receiver (87.5-108 MHz) with RDS (certain variants)
Micro USB 2.0
|Other||Wi-Fi hotspot, USB tethering|
Head - 0.45 W/kg
Body - 0.37 W/kg
Head - 0.70 W/kg
Body - 0.57 W/kg
|Hearing aid compatibility||M4, T4|
The LG Optimus One is an entry-level series of touch-screen smartphones manufactured by LG Electronics, Inc. It was released running the Android 2.2 Froyo, and later LG released software to upgrade it to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Although the basic physical form factor of each variant is the same, the variants have differences in hard button shape and layout, the form of the metal side bezel and the user interfaces added by LG or various carriers. Versions of the Optimus One exist that operate on various frequency bands and either GSM or CDMA-based network protocols. They may also feature one or more variations in hardware, such as a faster processor, the addition of a physical keyboard, a modem with higher theoretical speeds, or a better digital camera.
Since sales first began in mid-November 2010, LG has released ten variants, though some differ very little from others. The Optimus One line is the first LG smartphone line to sell more than 1 million units. As of December 10, 2010[update] more than 2 million units have been sold worldwide, with 1.3 million units sold in North America, 450,000 units sold in South Korea, 200,000 units sold in Europe and 50,000 units sold in Asia and the CIS.
Because of the different technologies used by wireless operators in the United States, many variants of the LG Optimus One exist, usually replacing the word "One" with a single letter representing the carrier. For example, the LG Optimus M was offered exclusively by MetroPCS, while the LG Optimus T was only available at T-Mobile USA.
The Optimus One P500 was the first version offered for sale, with sales beginning in South Korea in mid-November 2010. This GSM version of the phone is sold by wireless communications service providers in Asia, Europe and Canada.
In Turkey, a matte black variant is sold as the LG Optimus One (P503).
- LG Optimus S: The LG Optimus S was initially released by Sprint in charcoal gray and purple on October 31, 2010. It includes the Sprint ID graphical user interface (GUI) and CDMA network connectivity. While it is similar to the Optimus One, the Optimus S features minor hardware differences. This device has four distinct hard keys and a metal accent that covers the top of the device and one-third of each side. The 3.5mm TRS connector, the power button and the volume buttons are all incorporated into the metal band. There are also two hard keys on the right side of the phone. One button activates the voice dialer and another activates the camera. The "Menu" and "Home" buttons on the S are transposed as compared to all other variants of the Optimus One.
- LG Optimus 3G: Telus Mobility released this phone for the Manitoba and Northern Ontario regions, where only Telus' CDMA network can be used. It is a variant of the LG Optimus S. The Optimus 3G was unavailable at Koodo Mobile, a Telus brand. Sales of this phone in Canada have now been discontinued.
- LG Optimus C: Cricket Wireless launched this phone on March 17, 2011.
- LG Optimus M: MetroPCS launched this phone in silver on November 24, 2010. Unlike other CDMA variants of the Optimus One, which support the EV-DO Rev. A standard, the Optimus M supports only the slower EV-DO Rel. 0 standard. In addition to supporting 800 MHz cellular and 1900 MHz PCS radio frequency bands, the Optimus M also supports the 1700/2011 MHz AWS frequency bands.
- LG Phoenix: available from AT&T Mobility in the United States, and from Rogers Wireless and Chatr in Canada. It was released on May 10, 2011 for Rogers and since August 2011 for Chatr. Canadian mobile virtual network operators which resell Rogers Wireless services, such as SearsConnect, also offer the LG Phoenix. The phone's colour is blue.
- LG Thrive: released in silver, it is similar to the LG Phoenix, but designed for AT&T's prepaid GoPhone customers.
- LG Optimus T: released by T-Mobile USA in black, titanium and burgundy on November 3, 2010.
- LG Optimus U: released by US Cellular in black on December 13, 2010.
- LG Optimus V: released by Virgin Mobile USA in black on February 1, 2011. The Optimus V has few applications beyond a "stock" version of Android 2.2.
- LG Vortex: Verizon Wireless released this phone in black and violet on November 18, 2010.
LG Optimus Chat
The LG Optimus Chat features a physical keyboard and a smaller, 2.8-inch touchscreen.
LG Optimus Chic
The LG Optimus Chic features a camera with a higher 5 megapixel (MP) resolution and a modem with faster upload speeds of 2 Mbit/s instead of 0.35 Mbit/s.
LG Optimus Net
After clearing out and discontinuing the LG Optimus Chic due to poor sales, Bell Mobility released the LG Optimus Net on October 27, 2011. The Net is equipped with a faster 800 MHz processor, but features a slower HSPA+ modem with 3.6 Mbit/s download speeds, compared to the Optimus One and Chic's 600 MHz processor and 7.2 Mbit/s HSPA+ download speeds. It also features the same 3.15 megapixel (MP) camera as the Optimus One, but this resolution is lower than the Optimus Chic's 5 MP camera.
LG Optimus Pro
The LG Optimus Pro is a variant of the Optimus Net, featuring a physical QWERTY keyboard, a 3 MP camera, a 2.8" screen, and Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
LG Optimus Elite
Released exclusively for the Australian network Optus, the LG Optimus Elite features a 3.5 inch screen, 5 MP camera with flash, and a dual-core processor.
Android 2.3 Gingerbread
On December 8, 2010 LG announced that it would need to study the Gingerbread Compatibility Definition Document and the public branch open source code before it could determine if the Optimus One series could be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. However, on December 9, 2010, LG stated that it will update Optimus One devices to Android 2.3, but a date for the upgrade was not specified. Responding to a question posted on LG India's Facebook page on March 16, 2011, an LG representative initially stated that the 2.3 update will be available in late May via the Android Market, but hours later added that the upgrade is not confirmed and the information was subject to change.
The following details the history of the Gingerbread update rollout:
- The first country to receive the update was Romania.
- This was followed by Russia, Brazil and the rest of the world soon after, according to LG's Facebook page.
- On August 28, 2011, the update for LG Optimus One has started rolling out on various parts of the world.
- On September 14, 2011, the update for American provider Sprint's LG Optimus S was issued.
- On September 27, 2011, this update was halted because it caused multiple issues for users.
- On November 8, 2011, the update was released for the Canadian provider Telus Mobility and its brand Koodo Mobile to all customers with the LG Optimus One P500h.
- On February 9, 2012, LG released the update for LG Phoenix users on AT&T Mobility
- Metro PCS prepare to release LG Optimus M+ with new processor, bigger screen, better bluetooth connectivity and higher camera resolutions than the old one.
- On April 4, 2012, the update for American provider Sprint's LG Optimus S was issued (Android 2.3 ZVJ).
- Sprint and Virgin Mobile released a successor to the phone: LG Optimus Elite, on April 22, 2012.
- LG 2010.
- LG 2010a.
- Sprint 2010.
- GSMArena 2011.
- LG 2011, p. 235.
- FCC 2010.
- Graham 2010.
- LG 2010d.
- Walmart 2011.
- MetroPCS 2010.
- LG 2010c.
- AT&T Intellectual Property 2011.
- T-Mobile USA 2011.
- U.S. Cellular 2010.
- Virgin Mobile USA 2011.
- Verizon Wireless 2010.
- Hardy, Ian. "Bell releasing LG Optimus Net October 27th". Mobile Syrup. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- LG 2010b.
- AndroidOS.in 2011.
- DiPane, Jared (26 June 2011). "LG Optimus One receives official Gingerbread update in Romania". Archived from the original on 1 November 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- Shukla, Gaurav (8 July 2011). "LG Optimus One Gingerbread roll out starts in Europe; Optimus2x, 3D to follow". Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- "LG Optimus One Gingerbread update starts rolling out". GSMArena.com.
- Hardy, Ian. "Update: TELUS and Koodo LG Optimus One upgrade to OS 2.3 now available". Mobile Syrup. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "LG Optimus M+ Android Smartphone Release on MetroPCS". New Best Gadget Review and Specifications.
- "How to Root LG Optimus S ZVJ Gingerbread". lg-phones.org.
- Mat Smith. "Sprint and LG launch Optimus Elite: entry-level specifications, planet-saving hopes". Engadget. AOL.
- Graham, Flora (2010-11-05). "LG Optimus One P500 review". reviews.cnet.co.uk. CBS Interactive Limited. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
Another feature missing on the Optimus One is Flash Player 10 support. Although it's supported by Android 2.2, the Optimus One's screen resolution is too low for Flash to work.
- Shukla, Gaurav (2011-03-16). "LG Optimus One to get Gingerbread update in May end". AndroidOS.in. AndroidOS.in. Archived from the original on 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2011-03-22.
The upgrade of LG Optimus One to android 2.3 is expected by May end...
- "AT&T and LG Launch First Smartphone for GoPhone" (Press release). AT&T Intellectual Property. 2011-04-12. Archived from the original on 2011-04-12. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
LG Thrive and its post-paid version, LG Phoenix available on April 17 from LG Mobile Phones.
- "LG '옵티머스원', 글로벌 200만대 돌파" [LG 'Optimus One', Global 2 million mark 2010/12/10]. lge.co.kr (in Korean). LG Electronics, Inc. 2010-12-10. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
Sales of 1.3 million in North America, South Korea 450,000, 200,000 in Europe and CIS / Asia 50,000.
- "LG Mobile Optimus Facebook Posting". lg.com. LG Electronics, Inc. 2010-12-08. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
Once the CDD and the source code is public, LG will evaluate the upgradability of the Optimus Series.
- "LG Optimus M Datasheet" (PDF). lg.com. LG Electronics, Inc. 2010. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800 MHz CDMA, 1.7/2.1 GHz AWS,
- "LG Optimus One P500 - Full phone specifications". gsmarena.com. GSMArena.com. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
SAR US 0.45 W/kg (head) 0.37 W/kg (body)
- "LG Optimus V User Guide P/NO: MFL67014001(1.0)" (PDF). lg.com/us/. LG Electronics, Inc. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
The highest SAR value for this model phone when tested for use at the ear is 0.70 W/kg and when worn on the body, is 0.57 W/kg.
- "LG Optimus V Android Phone". virginmobileusa.com. Virgin Mobile USA, Inc. March 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-04-10. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "LG Optimus V Android Phone". virginmobileusa.com. Virgin Mobile USA, Inc. 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- "MetroPCS Launches Its First No Contract Android Smartphone with the LG Optimus M" (Press release). MetroPCS Wireless, Inc. 2010-11-22. Archived from the original on 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
Available in MetroPCS stores and online starting November 24, LG Optimus M; is a sleek Android device...
- "Optimus One OS Upgrade". lg.com. LG Electronics, Inc. 2010-12-09. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
LG will upgrade all Optimus One smartphones currently using the Froyo OS to the next version of the Android OS, Gingerbread.
- "P503 Optimus One Tüm Telefonlar". lg.com. LG Electronics, Inc. 2010. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "SAR Compliance Evaluation Report FCC ID: BEJVM670". fjallfoss.fcc.gov. Federal Communications Commission. 2010.
Max. SAR Measurement: 0.70 W/kg PCS CDMA Head SAR, 0.57 W/kg PCS CDMA Body SAR
- "With Sprint ID and Android 2.2, LG Optimus S Boasts the Ultimate in Style and Personalization; Available for Less than $50 from Sprint Beginning Oct. 31". newsroom.sprint.com (Press release). Sprint Nextel Corporation. 2010-10-06. Archived from the original on March 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
SAN FRANCISCO (BUSINESS WIRE), October 06, 2010 - Sprint (NYSE: S) and LG Electronics MobileComm U.S.A., Inc. (LG Mobile Phones) today announced the upcoming availability of LG Optimus S...
- "T-Mobile and LG Mobile Phones Offer a Simple-to-Use, Affordable Android Device for First-Time Smartphone Customers – LG Optimus T with Google". newsroom.t-mobile.com (Press release). T-Mobile USA, Inc. 2010-10-06. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
Bellevue, Wash. — Oct. 6, 2010 PDT T-Mobile USA, Inc. and LG Mobile Phones today announced the latest easy-to-use and affordably priced smartphone to join T-Mobile’s extensive Android portfolio, LG Optimus T.
- "U.S. Cellular to Launch the LG Optimus U, Its Latest Android-Powered Device for 2010". uscellular.com (Press release). U.S. Cellular. 2010-12-07. Archived from the original on March 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
CHICAGO (December 7, 2010) – U.S. Cellular is rounding out its 2010 lineup of Android-powered phones with the Dec. 13 launch of the LG Optimus U...
- "Verizon Wireless And LG Mobile Phones Create A Whirlwind Of Possibilities With The LG Vortex". news.vzw.com (Press release). Verizon Wireless. 2010-11-15. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
11/15/2010 BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and SAN DIEGO, CA — Verizon Wireless and LG Mobile Phones today announced the LG Vortex will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com on Nov. 18.
- "Walmart Family Mobile - LG Optimus One Prepaid Cell Phone". walmart.com. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
Preloaded with Voice Actions for Android, the LG Optimus One lets you make calls, send messages, play music and more with simple voice commands.
- "LG Optimus V Joins Virgin Mobile USA Offering "Optimal" Experience for No-Contract Customers". virginmobileusa.marketwire.com (Press release). Virgin Mobile USA, Inc. 2011-02-01. Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
WARREN, N.J. – Feb. 1, 2010 – Virgin Mobile USA continues to enrich its handset lineup with the introduction of LG Optimus V, expanding its selection of Android handsets.