|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
LH 95 is a modestly sized stellar nursery in the Large Magellanic Cloud orbiting the Milky Way. It is related to the HII-region LHA 120-N 64, that is, a region of hydrogen ionized by the bright stars of LH 95.
Previously only young bright stars were known in this stellar association. Imaging using the Hubble Space Telescope, however, allowed the identification of more than 2,500 pre–main sequence stars with masses down to about 0.3 solar masses, thereby giving a detailed picture of what a typical stellar association in the LMC looks like.
The large sample of low-mass pre–main sequence stars, stars that are currently under formation, in LH 95 allows the construction of the first most complete Initial Mass Function of an extragalactic star forming cluster. The Initial Mass Function of LH 95 does not seem to differ from that typical for our Galaxy.
- Gouliermis, D.; Keller, S.C.; et al. (January 2002). "Three stellar associations and their field east of LMC 4 in the Large Magellanic Cloud". Astronomy and Astrophysics 381: 862. Bibcode:2002A&A...381..862G. doi:10.1051/0004-6361:20011469.
- Gouliermis, Dimitrios A.; Henning, Thomas; Brandner, Wolfgang; Dolphin, Andrew E.; Rosa, Michael; Brandl, Bernhard (January 2007). "Discovery of the pre–main sequence population of the stellar association LH 95 in the Large Magellanic Cloud with Hubble Space Telescope ACS Observations". The Astrophysical Journal 665: L27-L30. arXiv:0706.4377. Bibcode:2007ApJ...665L..27G. doi:10.1086/521224.
- Da Rio, Nicola; Gouliermis, Dimitrios A.; Henning, Thomas, "The Complete Initial Mass Function Down to the Subsolar Regime in the Large Magellanic Cloud with Hubble Space Telescope ACS Observations", The Astrophysical Journal, Volume 696, Issue 1, pp. 528-545 (2009) ArXiv preprint
- Large and small stars in harmonious coexistence
- The Hubble Heritage Project: LH 95
- APOD: Star Forming Region LH 95
|This star cluster–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|