LM Wind Power
|Founders||Ejner Lorentzen |
|Duncan Berry (CEO)|
|Products||Wind turbine blades|
Number of employees
|Parent||General Electric (2017-present)|
LM Wind Power has manufactured more than 175,000 blades since 1975.
LM Wind Power was founded in 1940 as Lunderskov Møbelfabrik (Lunderskov furniture factory) in the small town Lunderskov, Denmark. In 1952 they investigated the possibilities of commercial exploitation of glass fiber technology, which made them change their name to LM Glasfiber and abandon their original plan of manufacturing wooden furniture. It wasn't until 1978 they started making wind turbine blades.
On 11 June 2010, LM Wind Power took part in setting an aviation record. They commissioned the An-225 to carry the world's longest piece of air cargo, as it flew two new 42-meter wind turbine blades from their factory in Tianjin, China to their test facility in Lunderskov, Denmark.
LM Wind Power employed approximately 4,505 employees worldwide at the end of 2014. The company is headquartered in Kolding, Denmark and has a global business office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. LM Wind Power has built production facilities in the major wind energy markets – 13 locations in 8 countries (Denmark, Spain, USA, Canada, India, China, Poland and Brazil). In addition to this, the company has a global network of R&D Centres in Denmark, the Netherlands, and India.
From 2001 until 2017 principal shareholders of LM Wind Power were the partnerships by Doughty Hanson & Co. Ltd., and LM was the world's largest independent blade supplier. In April 2017, LM Wind Power was acquired by GE Renewable Energy for an enterprise value of €1.5 billion.
- "LM Glasfiber changes name to LM Wind Power", www.renewableenergyfocus.com, 21 April 2010
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-13. Retrieved 2015-03-27.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-30. Retrieved 2017-04-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Record breaking journey Archived 2010-06-14 at the Wayback Machine Renewable Energy Sources, 11 June 2010. Pictures:  Archived 2016-11-09 at the Wayback Machine  Archived 2013-06-13 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved: 13 June 2010.
- LM Wind Power 2014 annual report
- "Private Equity - Our portfolio - LM Wind Power", www.doughtyhanson.com, Doughty Hanson & Co., retrieved 24 August 2012
- "GE Completes Acquisition of LM Wind Power". 2017-04-20.
- LM Wind Power, official website