LRC (file format)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
LRC (short for LyRiCs) is a computer file format that synchronizes song lyrics with an audio file, such as MP3, Vorbis or MIDI. When an audio file is played with certain music players on a computer or on modern digital audio players, the song lyrics are displayed. The lyrics file generally has the same name as the audio file, with a different filename extension. For example, song.mp3 and song.lrc. The LRC format is text-based and similar to subtitle files.
Simple LRC format was introduced by Taiwan-based Kuo (Djohan) Shiang-shiang's Lyrics Displayer. It was one of the first programs, if not the first, that attempted to simulate Karaoke performance. It usually displays a whole line of lyrics, but it is possible to display a word at a time, such as one would see in modern Karaoke machines, by creating a time tag for each word rather than each line. Kuo's Lyrics Displayer was created in 1998 and was accompanied with a plug-in for Winamp.
The Line Time Tags are in the format [mm:ss.xx] where mm is minutes, ss is seconds and xx is hundredths of a second.
- Normal example:
[00:12.00]Line 1 lyrics [00:17.20]Line 2 lyrics [00:21.10]Line 3 lyrics ... [mm:ss.xx]last lyrics line
[al:Album where the song is from]
[ti:Lyrics (song) title]
[au:Creator of the Songtext] [length:How long the song is] [by:Creator of the LRC file]
[offset:+/- Overall timestamp adjustment in milliseconds, + shifts time up, - shifts down]
[re:The player or editor that created the LRC file]
[ve:version of program]
- Example with ID tags:
[ar:Chubby Checker oppure Beatles, The] [al:Hits Of The 60's - Vol. 2 – Oldies] [ti:Let's Twist Again] [au:Written by Kal Mann / Dave Appell, 1961] [length: 2:23] [00:12.00]Naku Penda Piya-Naku Taka Piya-Mpenziwe [00:15.30]Some more lyrics ... ...
Simple format extended
Available only in Walaoke from Walasoft. The ability to change and specify the gender of the lyrics by using M: Male, F: Female, D: Duet.
[00:12.00]Line 1 lyrics [00:17.20]F: Line 2 lyrics [00:21.10]M: Line 3 lyrics [00:24.00]Line 4 lyrics [00:28.25]D: Line 5 lyrics [00:29.02]Line 6 lyrics
Let's say we use blue for male, red for female and pink for Duet. Line 1 using the default color (blue) when no tag is found. Line 2 lyrics start with red when F: is found. Line 3 lyrics start with blue when M: is found. Line 4 lyrics stays blue when no tag is found. Line 5 lyrics start with pink when D: is found. Line 6 lyrics stays pink when no tag is found.
Enhanced LRC format is an extension of Simple LRC Format developed by the designer of A2 Media Player.
- The line timestamp is the end of the previous word.
- This allows LRC players to determine the duration of the previous word, and when to display the next line.
- Adds a Word Time Tag in the format: <mm:ss.xx>.
[mm:ss.xx] <mm:ss.xx> line 1 word 1 <mm:ss.xx> line 1 word 2 <mm:ss.xx> ... line 1 last word <mm:ss.xx> [mm:ss.xx] <mm:ss.xx> line 2 word 1 <mm:ss.xx> line 2 word 2 <mm:ss.xx> ... line 2 last word <mm:ss.xx> ... [mm:ss.xx] <mm:ss.xx> last line word 1 <mm:ss.xx> last line word 2 <mm:ss.xx> ... last line last word <mm:ss.xx>
Example of an Enhanced LRC file:
[ar: Jefferson Airplane] [al: Surrealistic Pillow] [au: Jefferson Airplane] [length: 2:58] [by: lrc-maker] [ti: Somebody to Love] [00:00.00] <00:00.04> When <00:00.16> the <00:00.82> truth <00:01.29> is <00:01.63> found <00:03.09> to <00:03.37> be <00:05.92> lies [00:06.47] <00:07.67> And <00:07.94> all <00:08.36> the <00:08.63> joy <00:10.28> within <00:10.53> you <00:13.09> dies [00:13.34] <00:14.32> Don't <00:14.73> you <00:15.14> want <00:15.57> somebody <00:16.09> to <00:16.46> love
- Huawei's Standard Music Player
- Xiaomi's Standard Music Player
- Meizu's M3 Music Card and M6 Mini Player
- Creative Labs' MuVo V100
- Archos 5, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- Rockbox compatible devices. See Manual entry
- Nokia's Symbian devices: "Music Player with lyrics available for selected software versions of Nokia 5800XM, X6 and 5230"
- Sony NWZ-E350 Series/E450 Series/E460 Series/E470 Series/A15/A17 Walkman; Sony Tablet S (With an embedded music player based on Android)
- Caanoo, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- GP2X Wiz, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- TEAC MP-222, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- Transcend's MP330, when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- Cocktail Audio X40, X50 when LRC file found with the same name as the song
- LRC Maker (online enhanced LRC maker and player)
- Tauon Music Box (for Linux)
- Sony Media Go (for Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP, Create and edit lyrics)
- K-Multimedia Player
- lrcShow-X (free software for X Window System, uses D-Bus to communicate with audio player)
- MiniLyrics (for Windows, Mac OS X & Android, own a large LRC database)
- OSD Lyrics (for Linux)
- Kodi (up to v15) / Boxee
- Plex (software) 
- Foobar2000 (with foo_uie_lyrics component)
- Mediabox (for Nokia Maemo)
- ptlyrics (for Palm OS)
- LineSpec  displays lyrics in combination with a few media players
- YouTube Movie Maker (can make lyric videos)
- Lyrimer 
- Neutron Player for Android Mobile Devices
- AIMP (with WebLyrics v0.2 Preview and MyClouds plugin)
- Musicolet Music Player for Android
- Retro Music Player
- Medoly (for Android, also supports Enhanced LRC formats and other lyric formats)
- LRCMakerPro for Android Devices
- KaraFun Player
- Vanilla Music (with Lyrics search plugin)
- http://www.mobile-mir.com/en/HowToLRC.php (dead, but archived)
- Meizu: M3 Music Card
- https://launchpad.net/lrcshow-x, https://web.archive.org/web/20160402164837/http://www.sanfanling.cn/read.php?267
- StepMania: Song Lyrics - LRC Format (dead, but archived)
- Display Song Lyrics On Desktop In Ubuntu 14.04
- Karaoke support has been completely removed as it wasn’t functional. 2016
- "Neutron Music Player". www.neutronmp.com. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- AutoLyric - Professional and Power Lyrics Tool
- "Vanilla Music". github.com. Retrieved 2020-04-14.