LSG Sky Chefs
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Revenue||€3.217 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
LSG Lufthansa Service Holding AG is the German holding company for the LSG Group, a collection of companies providing products and services for the travel industry. Under the LSG Sky Chefs brand, the company is a provider of in-flight catering services for the airline industry. In addition the company also provides extended services on other aspects of in-flight service including: the design and sourcing of in-flight equipment, in-flight logistics, in-flight management, onboard retail management, and the management of airport lounges. In addition to catering to airplanes, LSG has expanded operations to include commercial trains.
LSG is a subsidiary of Deutsche Lufthansa AG. The company's world headquarters is located in Neu-Isenburg near Frankfurt, Germany. Its North American headquarters is located in Irving, Texas, United States, where a part of the company was founded in 1942.
In February 2018 LSG Sky Chefs co-founded the Airline Catering Association, which is based in Brussels, Belgium. 
A part of the company was formerly owned by AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines. In 1942 the company was founded and called Sky Chefs, but in 1966 they partnered with Lufthansa and became LSG Sky Chefs. 
LSG Sky Chefs partners with more than 300 airlines worldwide across 214 airports and operates almost 210 customer service centers in 51 countries, producing around 591 million meals a year.
The airline carriers served by LSG Sky Chefs can vary from airport to airport, but some major customers are Lufthansa, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Asiana Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Swiss International Air Lines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Korean Air, Finnair, and Aeroflot. LSG Sky Chefs reports it has about 30% of the airline catering market worldwide.
An ongoing slump in the airline industry, largely attributed to rising jet fuel costs, has created many challenges for the firm. Its global revenue has been in decline since a peak of €3.1 billion in 2002.
The company also operates three deep-frozen manufacturing/distribution facilities supplying to different regions of the world in:
- Alzey (Europe, Africa, Middle East),
- Pittsburgh (North America, Caribbean, South America)
- Qingdao (Asia, Australia)
Each location employs over 100 staff with capacities to manufacture 25 million meals each for its customers.
In addition, the company runs non-food retail operations at several airport locations and provides traditional event planning and catering. (source: company site)
An example of a non-airline product it produces is sandwiches and salads at 7-Eleven convenience stores in North America, supplied by its Pittsburgh site as well as other facilities in the US. These products are marked as ‘Prepared by LSG Sky Chefs’ on the back label.
The name ‘LSG’ derives from ‘Lufthansa Service Gesellschaft’, the original name of the company that acquired the Sky Chefs brand. The company plans to merge its operations in the UK with Alpha Flight Group Ltd.
- 1942 - American Airlines creates Sky Chefs Inc.
- 1966 - LSG (Lufthansa Service GmbH) is founded.
- 1986 - Onex Corporation purchases Sky Chefs; caterer to one single airline.
- 1985-2001 - Under the guidance of Ewout R. Heersink, CFO of Onex Corporation, Sky Chefs becomes the largest in-flight catering company in the world.
- 1993 - LSG acquires 25% of Sky Chefs.
- 1999 - LSG acquires additional 23% of Sky Chefs.
- 2001 - LSG acquires the rest of Sky Chefs (June 30, 2001).
- 2000 : €1.1 billion
- 2001 : €2.5 billion
- 2002 : €3.1 billion
- 2003 : €2.7 billion
- 2004 : €2.3 billion
- 2005 : €2.2 billion
- 2006 : €2.3 billion (source: LSG Sky Chefs' website)
- 2007 : €2.4 billion (source: dpa)
- 2008 : €2.3 billion
- 2009 : €2.1 billion
- 2010 : €2.2 billion
- 2012 : €2.5 billion
- 2014 : €2.633 billion
- 2015 : €3.022 billion
- 2016 : €3.194 billion
- 2017 : €3.219 billion
- Bloomberg. "Airline-Caterer gründen Interessensvertretung". Retrieved 2018-02-13.
- "LSG Sky Chefs | About us". LSG Sky Chefs. Retrieved 2019-06-27.
- "LSG Group by the numbers - Facts and Figures". Lsgskychefs.com. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- Airport Authority and LSG Sky Chefs Announce Opening of New Frozen Food Facility Located at PIT Archived 2011-09-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Moodie Report". Moodie International Ltd. Retrieved 2012-03-13.