LSU–Texas A&M football rivalry
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First meeting||December 2, 1899|
Texas A&M 52, LSU 0
|Latest meeting||November 24, 2018|
#22 Texas A&M 74, #7 LSU 72
|Next meeting||November 23, 2019|
|All-time series||LSU leads, 33–21–3|
|Largest victory||Texas A&M, 63–9 (1914)|
|Longest win streak||LSU, 7 (2011–2017)|
|Current win streak||Texas A&M, 1 (2018)|
LSU is 25–10–1 in Baton Rouge; A&M is 8–4–1 in College Station. LSU is 4–3–1 at neutral sites, including wins in the two bowl games where they were opponents: the 1944 Orange Bowl in Miami and 2011 Cotton Bowl Classic in Arlington. From 1945 to 1973, LSU went 17–3–1 against A&M. LSU has won 7 of the last 8 games.
The teams first played at College Station in 1899. A&M won 52–0. It was the only game before they joined the SIAA.
They did not meet again until 1906 in Baton Rouge, the first of five games between 1906 and 1914 in which they were opponents in the SIAA. They played two more times in 1913 and 1914. A&M went 3–1–1. After 1914, A&M left to join the newly formed Southwest Conference (LSU participated in initial meetings to form it, but chose not to join.)
SEC vs. SWC
They played two neutral-site games in 1916 and 1917 before four straight games from 1920 to 1923. Between 1916 and 1923, A&M went 3–2–1. The series resumed from 1942 to 1949 in the regular season. In addition to the regular season game in 1943, they met in the first bowl game of the rivalry. LSU won the January 1, 1944 Orange Bowl 19–14. LSU went 7–2, winning the last five.
They met again in 1955 and 1956, with A&M taking both games. They were led by John David Crow, their first Heisman Trophy winner. They played annually from 1960 to 1975. This was the longest consecutive games played between the two teams in the series history. LSU went 12–3–1. After 1961, LSU took the lead in the series; LSU still leads the series today. A&M's 1970 win had a 79-yard touchdown pass with 13 seconds left to upset LSU (who would win the SEC title). A&M did not win another game that year and finished 2-9.
The series resumed from 1986 to 1995, A&M went 6–4, winning the last five. Four were over LSU head coach Curley Hallman, a former Aggie. R. C. Slocum, a native Louisianian, was A&M's head coach for the last seven.
SEC vs. Big 12
They did not meet again until January 7, 2011, in the Cotton Bowl Classic. It was the only meeting during the Aggies' tenure in the Big 12 Conference, and the second time in a bowl game. In 2011, the Cotton Bowl celebrated its 75th Anniversary and this was the first Cotton Bowl Classic to be played in prime time in the highly anticipated matchup. LSU beat Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl 41–24 at Arlington, Texas.
The series resumed in 2012, and for the first time since the SIAA days they would be conference opponents, when A&M joined the SEC and was placed in the West Division with LSU.
In 2012, A&M's Johnny Manziel won the Heisman. LSU's defense caused him to have his worst performance of the year, which included 0 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. #6 LSU won 24–19 at College Station in the first SEC game. In 2013, #22 LSU won 34–10, A&M's first SEC road loss.
In 2014, they played on Thanksgiving night for the first time in the series history. The last time LSU played on Thanksgiving was 1973. LSU won 23–17 in College Station. The two teams played again on Thanksgiving, two years later (in College Station); LSU won 54–39.
In 2018, Texas A&M beat LSU 74–72 for their first win over the Tigers since 1995. This set an NCAA FBS record for most points scored in a single game and tied an NCAA record for playing in 7 overtime periods.
|LSU victories||Texas A&M victories||Tie games|
A1944 Orange Bowl
B2011 Cotton Bowl Classic
C Highest scoring game in FBS history.
- Brent Zwerneman (November 27, 2018). "Seven-OT game ignites A&M-LSU rivalry again". houstonchronicle.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
n reality, the rivalry has its roots in a non-conference series that dates to 1899 (a 52-0 A&M victory), with the teams playing 50 times prior to becoming SEC West mates six years ago.
- "SEC Football: Ranking the Conference's Best Rivalries". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Sam Khan. "SEC helps A&M, LSU rekindle rivalry". espn.com. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
The major shifts that shook up college football because of conference realignment have broken up many rivalries, but in this particular case, it rekindled an old one, with the Aggies and Tigers becoming conference mates in the SEC West Division." "Former Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum, who coached in seven of those battles, called it a “great rivalry.
- "Louisiana State Historical Data". www.cfbdatawarehouse.com. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "Football: LSU, Texas A&M renew dormant rivalry". The Daily Reveille. May 13, 2015. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "Texas A&M, LSU renewing rivalry in SEC". The Eagle. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Glenn Guilbeau (November 26, 2014). "LSU-Texas A&M - new Thanksgiving rivalry?". The Daily Advertiser. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "Texas A&M vs. LSU takes center stage on Thanksgiving weekend". kxxv.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
The Texas A&M vs. LSU border-state rivalry football game will be played on Thanksgiving Day in 2014 as part of the traditional "rivalry weekend," the Southeastern Conference announced on Wednesday.
- Kristian Garic (November 27, 2018). "LSU wanted a true rivalry - they got it, Texas A&M". wwl.radio.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
After Saturday night’s record setting game, I’d say the Texas A&M Aggies are now the LSU biggest rival. The rivalry was born after a 74-72 win for A&M, who had previously lost six straight to LSU.
- Scooter Hobbs (November 28, 2018). "LSU-A&M rivalry just got real". americanpress.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
But Orgeron did confirm that the Tigers might have found their new most bitter rival in the Aggies.
- Chelsea Howard (November 25, 2018). "Six crazy facts as Texas A&M, LSU make history with highest-scoring FBS game". sportingnews.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "LSU against Texas A&M". mcubed.net. Retrieved June 21, 2018.