LUISS School of Government
The LUISS School of Government - LUISS SoG - is a graduate school of the LUISS Guido Carli University - Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali Guido Carli, a private university affiliated with Confindustria and based in the Italian capital Rome.
Modelled on Harvard’s JFK School of Government, the LUISS SoG was founded in February 2010 and inaugurated at the presence of the President of the Republic Giorgio Napolitano; its aim is that of providing graduate training for ‘high-level public and private officials who handle political and government decision-making processes’, both at national and international level.
The President of the LUISS SoG is Prof. Marc Lazar, Director of the Sciences Po Doctoral School in Paris, its Scientific Director is Prof. Sergio Fabbrini, Jean Monnet Chair and Professor of Political Science and International Relations at LUISS Guido Carli University and its Vice-director is Prof. Giovanni Orsina.
Since the very beginning, the LUISS SoG has had as main goal the internationalization of its academic teaching, that is why the academic body of the School is composed not only of Italian experts, but also by international academics and professionals, such as Giuliano Amato, Anthony Atkinson, Franco Bassanini, Sabino Cassese, Michael Cox, Roberto D'Alimonte, Giulio Napolitano, Sergio Fabbrini, Marc Lazar, Leonardo Morlino, Raffaele Cantone, Marcello Messori, Christian Egenhofer, and Massimo Egidi.
The LUISS SoG offers both I level Master Courses (attendable after a Bachelor) and II level Master Courses (attendable after a 5-year academic programme); two Summer Schools and a wide range of Executive Courses enrich the academic offering of the School.
The school offers the following courses:
Level I Masters
- Master of Arts in European Studies (in English)
- Master in Turismo e Territorio: economia, marketing, eco-sostenibilità] (in Italian) - in partnership with Federturismo Confindustria and with the support of Roma Capitale;
Level II Masters
- Master of Arts in European and Global Affairs (in English) - in partnership with Sheffield University;
- Master of Arts in International Public Affairs (in English);
- Master of Arts in Law and Government of the European Union (in English);
- Masters in Economia e Istituzione dei Paesi Islamici (in Italian);
- Masters in Management e Politiche delle Amministrazioni Pubbliche (in Italian);
- Masters in Parlamento e Politiche Pubbliche (in Italian);
- Masters in Amministrazione e Governo del Territorio (in Italian) - in partnership with LUISS Guido Carli Centro di Ricerca sulle Amministrazioni Pubbliche “Vittorio Bachelet” and SSAI (Scuola Superiore dell’Amministrazione degli Interni);
- Masters in Comunicazioni Istituzionali delle Amministrazioni, Organizzazioni e Imprese (in Italian) - in partnership with Scuola Superiore di Giornalismo 'Massimo Baldini';
- Summer School "Parliamentary Democracy in Europe" (in English) - in partnership with LUISS CESP (Centro di Studi sul Parlamento), Fondazione CEUR, IPSA (International Political Science Association), Nova Universitas, Sciences Po - Centre d'études européennes and Macerata University - Law Department;
- Summer School on "International Trade: Law and Economics"(in English);
- Corso Intensivo di Preparazione per l’Accesso alla Dirigenza Statale e Regionale (Intensive Course for the Access to the Public Management);
- Corso Intensivo di Preparazione al Concorso per Administrators presso le Istituzioni dell’Unione Europea (Intensive Course for Administrators at the European Union Institutions);
- Corso Intensivo di Preparazione al Concorso per la Carriera Diplomatica (Intensive Course for the Diplomatic Career);
- Training Course on Regulatory Impact Analysis;
Among the objectives of the LUISS SoG a special place is reserved to high quality research. In January 2013 a series of "working papers" were inaugurated; research projects include:
- Beyond European Exceptionalism: The European Union in Comparative Perspective (EACEA Jean Monnet Chair 2011-2014, Project Leader: Prof. Sergio Fabbrini, Director LUISS SoG)
- The Human Right Dimension of EU Foreign Policy (EACEA Jean Monnet Chair, Project Leader: Prof. Leonardo Morlino, Professor of Political Science and Vice Rector-Research LUISS Guido Carli University)
- Jean Monnet Module on Parliamentary Democracy in Europe (Prof. Nicola Lupo)
- Jean Monnet Module on EU’s Engagement with Civil Society (Raffaele Marchetti)
LUISS SoG organizes several workshops, seminars and international conferences, with a high level academic content and of national and international interest, such as the Yearly International Conference on "Investing in the Age of Political Risk" on 14 December 2012, the "Workshop on Civil Society and Global Politics" on 12 October 2012, the Presentation of the "International Encyclopedia of Political Science" on 26 September 2012 with the presence of national and international guests such as Giuseppe Scognamiglio, Lawrence Rosenthal, Renaud Dehousse, John Zysman, Angelo Panebianco and Gaetano Quagliarello.