Default LXDE desktop
|Original author(s)||Hong Jen Yee (“PCMan”)|
|Developer(s)||The LXDE Team|
|Written in||C (GTK+), C/C++ (Qt)|
|License||GNU GPL, GNU LGPL|
LXDE is a free and open source desktop environment for Unix and other POSIX compliant platforms, such as Linux or BSD. The goal of the project is to provide a desktop environment that is fast and energy efficient. LXDE stands for "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment".
LXDE is designed to work well with computers on the low end of the performance spectrum such as older resource-constrained machines, especially those with low amounts of RAM. In 2010, tests suggested that LXDE 0.5 had the lowest memory usage of the 4 most popular desktop environments of the time (GNOME 2.29, KDE Plasma Desktop 4.4, and Xfce 4.6), and that it consumed less energy, which suggests mobile computers with LXDE 0.5 drained their battery at a slower pace than those with other desktop environments.
LXDE is written in the C programming language, using the GTK+ toolkit, and runs on Unix and other POSIX compliant platforms, such as Linux and BSD. GTK+ is commonly used in many Linux distributions and allows applications to run on different platforms. LXDE uses rolling releases for the individual components (or group of components with coupled dependencies). Its window manager is Openbox. LXDE includes GPL licensed code as well as LGPL licensed code.
The project was started in 2006 by Taiwanese programmer Hong Jen Yee (Chinese: 洪任諭; pinyin: Hóng Rènyù), also known as PCMan, when he published PCManFM, a new file manager and the first module of LXDE.
In reviewing Linux distribution rankings for DistroWatch in early January 2011 for the year 2010 versus 2009, Ladislav Bodnar noted the increase in popularity of LXDE versus other desktop environments. He said, "Looking through the tables, an interesting thing is the rise of distributions that use the lightweight, but full-featured LXDE desktop or the Openbox window manager. As an example, Lubuntu now comfortably beats Kubuntu in terms of page hits, while CrunchBang Linux, a lightweight distribution with Openbox is still in the top 25 even though it failed to produce a stable release for well over a year. Many other distributions started offering LXDE-based editions of their products, further contributing to the dramatic rise in popularity of this relatively new desktop environment."
Dissatisfied with GTK 3, Hong Jen Yee experimented with Qt in early 2013 and released the first version of a Qt-based PCManFM on March 26, 2013. He clarified, though, that this means no departure from GTK in LXDE, saying “The Gtk+ and Qt versions will coexist”. He later ported LXDE’s Xrandr front-end to Qt.
LXDE consists of several components:
|PCMan File Manager||File manager and Desktop metaphor provider.|
|LXInput||Mouse and keyboard configuration tool|
|LXLauncher||Easy-mode application launcher|
|LXSession||X session manager|
|LXAppearance||GTK+ theme switcher|
|LXMusic||An audio player frontend for XMMS2|
|LXRandR||A GUI to RandR|
|LXDM||X display manager|
|LXNM||Lightweight network connection helper daemon. Supports wireless connections (Linux only).||Discontinued|
|Leafpad||Text editor||Not developed by the LXDE project.|
|Openbox||Window manager||Not developed by the LXDE project.|
|obconf||A GUI tool to configure Openbox||Not developed by the LXDE project.|
|Xarchiver||File archiver||Not developed by the LXDE project.|
- Razor-qt, a similar project using the Qt framework, in place of GTK+
- Comparison of X Window System desktop environments
- LXDE Team. "LXDE". Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- LXDE Team. "About LXDE". Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Christopher Smart (2009-09-09). "Lubuntu: Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a Bee". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- Larabel, Michael. "Power & Memory Usage Of GNOME, KDE, LXDE & Xfce". Phoronix. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Larabel, Michael. "Power & Memory Usage Of GNOME, KDE, LXDE & Xfce (page 2)". Phoronix. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "GTK+ Features".
- Description of current release process
- Bodnar, Ladislav (January 2011). "DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics in 2009 and 2010". DistroWatch. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "LXDE - PCManFM Qt 0.1.0 released". Blog.lxde.org. 2013-03-27. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- "LXDE - PCManFM file manager is ported to Qt?". Blog.lxde.org. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- "LXDE xrandr GUI frontent lxrandr is ported to Qt in one day". Gmane. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- "LXDE - LXDE-Qt Preview". Blog.lxde.org. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "The future of Razor and LXDE-Qt" at LXDE blog
- The future of Razor and LXDE-Qt at Razor-qt Google group
- "The future of Razor and LXDE-Qt" at the LXDE-list archive
- Łukasz Bigo. "LXDE - lekka alternatywa do GNOME". Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- About LXDE
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LXDE.|