|Industry||Smartphone Consumer electronics|
|Mukesh Ambani |
|Owner||Reliance Industries Limited|
LYF (pronounced "life"), also known as Reliance LYF, is an Indian smartphone manufacturer, headquartered in Mumbai, India. It manufactures 4G-enabled VoLTE smartphones which run on Android. It is a subsidiary of Jio, the telecommunication arm of Reliance Industries. It is operated along with the parent company's flagship venture, Jio. According to Counterpoint Research, in May 2016, LYF became the fifth largest smartphone player and second largest LTE phone supplier in India.
LYF was established in 2015 by the telecom operator, Jio. Marketed closely along with Jio's 4G services, smartphones under the brand were slated to launch in November 2015. In January 2016, it launched its first set of 4G-enabled smartphones named after the four elements: Earth, Flame (Fire), Water, and Wind.
In May 2016, international market tracker Counterpoint Research reported that LYF had become the fifth-largest smartphone producer in the Indian market, capturing a 7% share in the January–March quarter of the financial year 2015-16. It was the second-largest LTE phone supplier after Samsung, surpassing Micromax and Lenovo during the quarter. "In first quarter of its inception, LYF instantly climbed to become one of the top five smartphone brands in India in terms of shipment volumes," Tarun Pathak, senior analyst at Counterpoint said in the report. Reliance Digital had shipped around 1.7 million LYF branded smartphones in the first quarter of 2016.
In October 2015, LYF tied up with domestic handset maker Intex to supply 4G handsets enabled with voice over LTE (VoLTE) feature. In January 2016, it launched its first set of smartphones - LYF Earth 1, LYF Water 1, and LYF Water 2.
LYF smartphones are manufactured by Chinese handset maker ZTE Corporation, Intex, as well as ODMs like CK Telecom Limited, Wingtech, and Wiko. As of early 2016, it has been reported that 600 thousand smartphones have been supplied to LYF by ZTE.
- "Reliance Industries launches cellphone brand LYF, will sell 4G phone under it", The Economic Times, 16 October 2015, retrieved 14 March 2016
- Reliance Jio Unveiled A 4G Device Under Lyf Brand, Gizmodo - India, 10 January 2016, archived from the original on 13 February 2016, retrieved 10 February 2016
- "Reliance Jio unveils low-cost 4G mobile phones LYF", The Financial Express, 8 January 2016, retrieved 10 February 2016
- "Reliance Retail to source high-end VoLTE smartphones before Jio launch", The Economic Times, 10 March 2016, retrieved 14 March 2016
- Mukherjee, Writankar (29 April 2016), "Reliance Jio's Lyf becomes fifth largest smartphone player: Counterpoint Research", The Economic Times, retrieved 6 May 2016
- Only 4 months old, Reliance Jio’s Lyf claims fifth spot in smartphone market, India TV, 30 April 2016, retrieved 6 May 2016
- "India smartphone market up 23 pct; Reliance Jio's Lyf becomes second largest LTE phone supplier", Financial Express, 30 April 2016, retrieved 6 May 2016
- "RIL's 4G-enabled LYF smartphones coming in November", The Times of India - Tech, 16 October 2015, retrieved 10 February 2016
- "Lyf Flame 1, Lyf Wind 6 Dual-SIM 4G Smartphones Launched in India", ndtv.com, NDTV - Gadgets, 29 February 2016, retrieved 14 March 2016
- M.D. Srinivas (23 July 2017). "Lyf Mobile Reliance-All cheap and costlier phones of Lyf and all about Lyf ..." Make Me IDOL. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "WATER 2 Smartphone", MyLYF.com, 11 May 2016, archived from the original on 10 April 2016, retrieved 11 May 2016
- "Intex ties up with Reliance Jio to supply 4G handsets", The Indian Express
- "Reliance Jio 4G smartphones LYF Earth 1, LYF Water 1, LYF Water 2 now available", The Indian Express, 29 January 2016, retrieved 11 March 2016
- Reliance’s LYF Water 2 Goes Official in India: specifications, features, price and availability, GSM Insider, 9 February 2016, archived from the original on 16 February 2016, retrieved 10 February 2016
- Singh, Saurabh (27 January 2016), "Reliance Jio's Lyf Earth 1, Water 1 & Water 2 phones listed online, prices start at Rs.14,690", India Today, retrieved 10 February 2016
- Reliance Lyf Flame 1 vs Xiaomi Redmi 2 vs Coolpad Note 3 Lite, TechRadar - India, 10 February 2016, retrieved 10 February 2016
- https://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/ZTE-plans-manufacturing-unit-in-India/articleshow/52359068.cms ZTE plans manufacturing unit in India
- ZTE plans manufacturing unit in India
- "Reliance Retail starts sale of its 4G LYF devices", Business Standard, 28 January 2016, retrieved 10 February 2016
- Reliance Jio’s LYF 4G smartphones now being delivered by Grofers, TechRadar, 1 February 2016, retrieved 10 February 2016
- Reliance Jio to launch 4 4G VoLTE LYF branded smartphones priced between Rs 4,000-Rs 25,000 in India, BGR, 10 December 2015, retrieved 11 March 2016