La Homa, Texas
La Homa, Texas
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||6.9 sq mi (17.8 km2)|
|• Land||6.9 sq mi (17.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||164 ft (50 m)|
|• Density||1,521.6/sq mi (587.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867552|
La Homa is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 11,985 at the 2010 United States Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area.
La Homa is located at (26.275973, -98.358892).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.9 square miles (18 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 11,985 people, 2,381 households, and 2,211 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,521.6 people per square mile (587.2/km²). There were 2,856 housing units at an average density of 416.5/sq mi (160.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 87.89% White, 0.12% African American, 0.02% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 11.46% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 97.73% of the population.
There were 2,381 households out of which 67.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.7% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 7.1% were non-families. 6.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.37 and the average family size was 4.52.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 43.2% under the age of 18, 11.9% from 18 to 24, 29.0% from 25 to 44, 11.7% from 45 to 64, and 4.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $16,887, and the median income for a family was $17,707. Males had a median income of $15,295 versus $13,897 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $5,180. About 53.8% of families and 57.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 63.9% of those under age 18 and 62.2% of those age 65 or over.
Zoned schools include:
- Elementary: Lloyd Bentsen, Kika de la Garza, Henry B. González, Américo Paredes, Patricio Pérez, and E. B. Reyna
- Middle: I. Garcia, Memorial, J. D. Salinas, and Domingo Treviño
- Juarez-Lincoln High School and Palmview High School
In addition, South Texas Independent School District operates magnet schools that serve the community.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Archived from the original on 2002-05-27. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 2, 2018.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: La Homa CDP, TX" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- "Elementary School Zones 2017-2018 Archived 2018-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." La Joya Independent School District. Retrieved on September 16, 2018.
- "Middle School Zones 2017-2018 Archived 2018-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." La Joya Independent School District. Retrieved on September 16, 2018.
- "High School Zones 2017-2018 Archived 2018-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." La Joya Independent School District. Retrieved on September 16, 2018.