LaQuan Smith (born August 30, 1988) is a luxury fashion designer who founded womenswear clothing brand LaQuan Smith, LLC. Smith serves as chief executive officer and is based in New York City.
Smith was born on August 30, 1988, in Queens, New York. As he grew up, he developed a passion for fashion and design. He further developed his passion at the age of 13 when his grandmother passed on her old Singer sewing machine for him to use. From there, he began regularly designing and creating garments. In 2007, he graduated from the High School of Art and Design and began his career in fashion.
In 2005, Smith applied to the Fashion Institute of Technology, as well as Parsons School of Design, but was not accepted. Smith then began interning at the New York magazine BlackBook in 2007, working for celebrity fashion stylist Elizabeth Sulcer,. He would attend events by pretending to be a BlackBook editor. In 2008, he created his self-titled designer brand.
In February 2010, he made his New York Fashion Week debut at the Society of Illustrators headquarters in Upper East Side. The audience for Smith's 'Water Goddess' show included fashion press, buyers, and celebrities. Specifically, the Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley, Vogue style director Alexandra Kotur, Janice Combs, Misa Hylton, Justin Tranter , and lawyer L. Londell McMillan. He later presented a Spring-Summer Collection in September 2010.
Smith's collection for the 2011 New York Fashion Week was showcased in the Gramercy Ballroom at the Peninsula Hotel. The collection, titled 'A Story Book Path', was inspired by Marie Antoinette, Cruella De Vil, and Queen Elizabeth I. Notable guests included Andre Leon Talley, Diane von Furstenberg, George Malkemus, Sandra Bernhard, Lorenzo Martone, Marcus Samuelsson, and L. Londell McMillan. Models walking in the show included Cassie Ventura, Deborah Cox, Jaslene Gonzalez, Serena Williams, Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj, and Christina Milian.         
- "About". LaQuanSmith.com. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- LEAH CHERNIKOF, February 12, 2010, New York Daily News, Fashion designer LaQuan Smith, from Queens, is 21-year-old Fashion Week virgin, Retrieved Aug. 28, 2014, "Smith ... got his foot in the door scoring an internship with BlackBook magazine, working for fashion editor Elizabeth Sulcer..."
- "Serena Williams Walks the Runway", Vogue, September 14, 2010
- "LaQuan Smith's Over-the-Top Romp Through Versaille, Starring Serena Williams". Fashionista.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Meet the hot young designer behind Rihanna's naked dress". NYPost.com. February 8, 2016. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Introducing the Designer of Rihanna's Barely There "BBHMM" Dress". Vogue.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Startup Perks: The Best Part Of Being Your Own Boss". Forbes.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "The Fashion School Reject Who Now Designs For Beyonce, Lady Gaga". Forbes.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Okeowo, Alexis (January 18, 2016). "LaQuan Smith's Conspicuous Couture". Retrieved December 29, 2017 – via www.NewYorker.com.
- "Designer Laquan Smith Plans to Revolutionize the Sales Calendar". Elle.com. February 5, 2016. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Taylor, Elise. "Kendall Jenner Just Instagrammed Your Design. Now What?". VanityFair.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Walker, Myrlaun (October 8, 2015). "The Making of a Fashion Icon- LaQuan Smith". HuffingtonPost.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "LaQuan Smith Turned Tweed Into Something Kylie Jenner Would Wear for Spring". Fashionista.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "A Young Outsider, on the Doorstep", The New York Times, February 12, 2010
- Bain, Marc. "A lesson in scale from the tiny fashion brand dressing the world's biggest celebrities". QZ.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "'We live in a culture of immediacy': Fashion Week tweaks its tired model - Digiday". Digiday. February 17, 2016. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Schneier, Matthew (February 14, 2016). "Fashion Week: Shows to Share With Your Valentine". Retrieved December 29, 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- Jeffery, Krystina Gustafson, Adam (February 16, 2016). "Your backstage pass to join New York's elite". CNBC.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "On the scene: Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley embraces LaQuan Smith's Fashion Week diversity", NY Daily News, February 15, 2010
- "LaQuan Smith Partners with BigCommerce to Deliver New Collection to Consumers Instantly at New York Fashion Week". www.BusinessWire.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Blay, Zandile (February 16, 2012). "After the Hype: The Return of Laquan Smith to NYFW". HuffingtonPost.com. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "Love for LaQuan!", DailyFrontRow.com, September 16, 2010