Saint Symphorian church in La Batie-Montgascon
|Intercommunality||Les Vals du Dauphiné|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Nicolas Solier|
|8.43 km2 (3.25 sq mi)|
|• Density||230/km2 (590/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||314–425 m (1,030–1,394 ft) |
(avg. 390 m or 1,280 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Batiolans or Batiolanes.
La Bâtie-Montgascon is located some 20 km east by south-east of Bourgoin-Jallieu and 25 km west of La Motte-Servolex. Access to the commune is by the D1516 road from La Tour-du-Pin in the west which passes through the north of the commune and the village before continuing east to Aoste. The D1075 comes from Veyrins-Thuellin in the north and passes through the hamlet of Evrieu in the commune before continuing south-east to Les Abrets. The A43 autoroute passes through the south of the commune from west to east but has no exit in the commune. The nearest exit is Exit 10 east of the commune at Chimilin. Apart from the main village there are the hamlets of Évrieu, Avolin, Trévignieux, and Boutière. The commune is almost all farmland with a few small forests and small lakes.
In 2017 the commune had 1,919 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Local Culture and Heritage
Sites and Monuments
- An Ancient hilltop village
- The Chateau de Renodel
- A Church from the 19th century
- A Living Museum of Dauphinois weaving
- A Multipurpose meeting hall (work completed in 2009)
- Dr Victor Prunelle (1777-1853). Owner of the Château du Vion, his tomb is in the cemetery at La Bätie-Montgascon. A doctor and politician, he was MP for Isère, mayor of Lyon and of Vichy. He tried to quell the revolt of the Canuts in Lyon (21–24 November 1831).
- Pierre Marion (1914-2000) born in La Bâtie-Montgascon. Heart surgeon, he devoted his life to the development of artificial heart valves
- Gérard Nicoud had a bar-restaurant in La Bâtie-Montgascon.
- Patrick Piot, professional motorcycle driver, born in 1967 at Bourgoin-Jallieu, lives in La Bâtie-Montgascon.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- La Bâtie-Montgascon on Lion1906
- Inhabitants of Isère (in French)
- La Bâtie-Montgascon on Google Maps
- La Bâtie-Montgascon on the Géoportail from National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- La Batie Mongafco on the 1750 Cassini Map
- la Batie on the 1790 Cassini Map
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet La Bâtie-Montgascon, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- Dauphinois Weaving Living Museum website (in French)
- La_Bâtie-Montgascon Official website (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to La Bâtie-Montgascon.|