La Blanca, Texas
La Blanca, Texas
Location of La Blanca, Texas
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||4.2 sq mi (10.7 km2)|
|• Land||4.2 sq mi (10.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||69 ft (21 m)|
|• Density||590/sq mi (230/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1339278|
La Blanca is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 2,488 at the 2010 United States Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area.
La Blanca is located at State Hwy 107 and Farm Rd 493, eight miles east of Edinburg and 10 miles north of Donna(26.308188, -98.030491).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,351 people, 548 households, and 522 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 566.5 people per square mile (218.7/km2). There were 589 housing units at an average density of 141.9/sq mi (54.8/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 73.54% White, 1.11% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 24.12% from other races, and 1.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 97.36% of the population.
There were 548 households out of which 66.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 78.1% were married couples living together, 14.4% had a female houseolder with no husband present, and 4.7% were non-families. 3.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.29 and the average family size was 4.41.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 40.7% under the age of 18, 11.8% from 18 to 24, 29.0% from 25 to 44, 14.2% from 45 to 64, and 4.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $21,688, and the median income for a family was $22,063. Males had a median income of $17,841 versus $11,846 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $6,421. About 35.3% of families and 38.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.3% of those under age 18 and 41.4% of those age 65 or over.
In addition, La Blanca residents are allowed to apply to magnet schools operated by the South Texas Independent School District.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- La Blanca CDP map. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2013-2014 Elementary School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on April 2, 2013. Detail of the Kennedy Elementary Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 Middle School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on March 29, 2011. Detail of Harwell Middle Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 High Schools Approved Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Detail of Economedes Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.