La Bougie du Sapeur
|Headquarters||17, rue Saint-Paul
La Bougie du Sapeur, first published in 1980, is a humorous French newspaper published every Leap Day. It was created by Jacques Debuisson and Christian Bailly as a joke between friends, but its tenth edition is scheduled for release on 29 February 2016 and 150,000–200,000 copies of each edition are printed. It sells for €4 from newsstands for one month, but subscriptions are available – €100 per century – and back issues are €15.
The newspaper's name, literally “The Soldier’s Candle” refers to the Camember, a soldier in a comic book created by Georges Colomb in 1896. In the story, Camember was born on February 29 and joined the army when he had celebrated his birthday only four times.
2004 saw the first edition of La Bougie du Sapeur – Dimanche, a special series to be published every Sunday 29 February, which will not occur again until 2032.
- Beardsley, Eleanor (2012). "For Leap Day Only, A Rare Newspaper Goes To Print". Morning Edition. NPR. Archived from the original on 2015-09-11.
- Birck, Danielle (2008). "Bissextile: La Bougie du Sapeur" (in French). Radio France International. Archived from the original on 2015-02-27.
- F., R. (1996). "‘La Bougie du Sapeur’, le journal qui tombe avant l’heure". L’Humanité (in French). Archived from the original on 2015-12-07.
- Chainon, Jean Yves (2008). "France: La Bougie du Sapeur, every 29 February". Presse News. Editors Weblog. Archived from the original on 2015-12-10.
- Hanne, Isabelle (2012). "‘La Bougie du sapeur’, le marronnier du 29 février". Libération (in French). Paris. ISSN 0335-1793. Archived from the original on 2015-12-18.
- Creedon, James (2012). "La Bougie du Sapeur: the world’s least frequent newspaper". Media Watch. Paris: France 24. Archived from the original on 2012-04-04.
- "La Bougie du Sapeur". La Galcante (in French). Paris. Archived from the original on 2015-12-10.
- Nicolas, Eric (2012). "Demandez le journal !". L’Est républicain (in French). Nancy, France. ISSN 0240-4958. Archived from the original on 2015-04-25.
- Pasteau, Benoist (2012). "Découvrez la Une de La Bougie du Sapeur". Europe 1 (in French). Archived from the original on 2013-06-06.
|This French newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|