La Cage aux Folles (film)
|La Cage aux Folles|
French release poster
|Directed by||Édouard Molinaro|
|Produced by||Marcello Danon|
|Screenplay by||Édouard Molinaro
|Based on||La Cage aux Folles
by Jean Poiret
|Music by||Ennio Morricone|
|Edited by||Monique Isnardon
|Distributed by||United Artists|
($1.4 million USD)
La Cage aux Folles is a 1978 French-Italian film adaptation of the 1973 play La Cage aux Folles by Jean Poiret. It is co-written and directed by Édouard Molinaro and stars Ugo Tognazzi and Michel Serrault. In Italian it is known as Il vizietto.
Like the play, the film tells the story of a gay couple – Renato Baldi (Ugo Tognazzi), the manager of a Saint-Tropez nightclub featuring drag entertainment, and Albin Mougeotte (Michel Serrault), his star attraction – and the madness that ensues when Renato's son, Laurent (Rémi Laurent), brings home his fiancée, Andrea (Luisa Maneri), and her ultra-conservative parents (Carmen Scarpitta and Michel Galabru) to meet them.
- Ugo Tognazzi as Renato Baldi (voiced in French by Pierre Mondy)
- Michel Serrault as Albin Mougeotte/'Zaza Napoli' (voiced in Italian by Oreste Lionello)
- Claire Maurier as Simone
- Rémi Laurent as Laurent Baldi
- Carmen Scarpitta as Louise Charrier
- Benny Luke as Jacob
- Luisa Maneri as Andrea Charrier
- Michel Galabru as Simon Charrier
Sequels and remake
|This section does not cite any references (sources). (June 2012)|
A 1983 Broadway musical of the same name based on the play and the film was also successful.
Adam and Yves
La Cage aux Folles caught the attention of television producer Danny Arnold, who in 1979 pitched the concept of a weekly series about a gay couple similar to the one in the film to ABC. His planned title was Adam and Yves, a play on both Adam and Eve and a slogan used by some anti-gay groups. After months in development, Arnold realized that the concept was unsustainable as a weekly series, which led to the show getting dropped.
- Tropiano, Stephen (2002). The Prime Time Closet: A History of Gays and Lesbians on TV. Applause Theatre and Cinema Books. ISBN 978-1-55783-557-4.
- La Cage aux Folles at the Internet Movie Database
- La Cage aux Folles at Box Office Mojo
- La Cage aux Folles at Rotten Tomatoes