Despite of the strong identity of its inhabitants, this historical region has not been able to achieve the necessary legal recognition for its administrative development. Therefore its municipalities have resorted to organizing themselves in mancomunidad, the only legal formula that has allowed the region to manage its public municipal resources meaningfully. The capital of the province is Mombuey and the most populated town is Villardeciervos, even though its population is only 491. The name 'La Carballeda' originated in the great number of Quercus robur oaks, locally known as carballos, in the comarca.
Some of the villages included in the historical comarca are part of municipalities which are now included the Sanabria comarca.
- Manzanal de Arriba
- Manzanal de los Infantes
- Molezuelas de la Carballeda
- Muelas de los Caballeros
- Otero de Bodas
- Rionegro del Puente
- Ministerio de Administraciones Públicas
- Asociación Cultural Las Raíces | Codesal
- Web sobre Codesal
- Página Web de la Villa de Mombuey, Templarios en Carballeda, Mapa de la Comarca
- Ríonegro del Puente
- Página oficial de la Asociación "Diego de Losada"
- Página de Ferreras de Arriba y la Sierra de la Culebra