La Casa (film series)
|La Casa (film series)|
|Directed by||Sam Raimi|
When first released in 1981, Sam Raimi's Horror film The Evil Dead was distributed in Italy under the title La Casa, where it was a box office success. The 1987 sequel Evil Dead II was thus distributed under the similar title La Casa 2, and also did well in the Italian box office.
Attempting to capitalize on the successes of the Evil Dead films, Italian filmmaker Joe D'Amato produced an unofficial sequel titled La Casa 3 (later released in English-speaking countries as Ghosthouse). This in turn was followed by two more "sequels", La Casa 4 (a.k.a. Witchery) and La Casa 5 (a.k.a. Beyond Darkness).
Finally, two additional films were released in Italy under the La Casa series name, both unrelated to either the Evil Dead series or Joe D'Amato's films. House II: The Second Story was released in Italy as La Casa 6, while The Horror Show was released as La Casa 7. Despite the numbering, both films were originally released prior to La Casa 5. To add further confusion to the matter, The Horror Show was marketed as a sequel to House II in other non-US markets, using the title House III: The Horror Show, despite the films having no relation to each other, beyond production crew.
Films in the series
- La Casa (a.k.a. The Evil Dead)
- La Casa 2 (a.k.a. Evil Dead II)
- La Casa 3 (a.k.a. Ghosthouse)
- La Casa 4 (a.k.a. Witchery)
- La Casa 5 (a.k.a. Beyond Darkness)
- La Casa 6 (a.k.a. House II: The Second Story)
- La Casa 7 (a.k.a. The Horror Show)
- Maçek III, J.C. (2013-04-26). "Books of the Dead: The Followers and Clones of 'The Evil Dead'". PopMatters.