La Crosse Central High School
|Central High School|
|La Crosse, Wisconsin
|Enrollment||1,089 (2013-2014 school year)|
|Color(s)||Black and Red|
|Athletics conference||Mississippi Valley Conference|
La Crosse Central High School is one of two public high schools in La Crosse, Wisconsin. It is located on the south side of the city, and is in the School District of La Crosse. The school was established in 1907.
La Crosse Central is the older of the two public high schools in La Crosse, with rival Logan being the newer school. It was established in 1907. Originally, Central was located at the intersection of 16th and Cass Streets on La Crosse's south side, where Weigent Park stands today. The new building stands on Losey Boulevard, near State Road.
The school has a World Language program, which includes trips to foreign countries; and a German exchange program, which allows students to have a German-speaking student live with them, as well as to live in Germany.
La Crosse Central High School has a variety of extra-curricular activities and athletics, and is part of the Mississippi Valley Conference.
- Don Iverson, professional golfer
- Edward C. Krause, former member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
- Robert Moevs, composer
- George Poage, First African American to earn a medal in the 1904 Olympics-Bronze
- Woodrow Swancutt, U.S. Air Force Major General
- Reuben Trane, founder of the Trane Company
- Gregg Underheim, former member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
- George Williams, major league baseball player
- William Mullen (journalist), winner of two Pulitzer Prizes working for the Chicago Tribune
- D. Russell Wartinbee, music, history and social problems teacher, Wisconsin State Assembly
- Guilford M. Wiley, principal, Wisconsin State Assembly
- La Crosse Logan High School
- Onalaska High School
- Holmen High School
- West Salem High School
- Aquinas High School
- Luther High School
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1966,' Biographical Sketch of D. Russell Wartinbee, pg. 46
|This Wisconsin school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|