La Dépêche du Midi
La Dépêche, formally La Dépêche du Midi, is a regional daily newspaper published in Toulouse in south-west France with 17 editions for different areas of the Midi-Pyrénées region. The main local editions are for: Toulouse, Ariège, Aude, Aveyron, Haute-Garonne, Gers, Lot, Lot-et-Garonne, Hautes-Pyrénées, Tarn, and Tarn-et-Garonne.
History and profile
The newspaper first appeared on 2 October 1870 when it was called La Dépêche de Toulouse. Publication was prompted by workers at the Sirven print works in Toulouse, which established the paper's left-leaning politics. It was at La Dépêche that the socialist politician Jean Jaurès wrote his first articles. The paper also published the articles by Georges Clémenceau. In the big issue of the day, the Dreyfus affair, the paper first insisted Alfred Dreyfus had given army secrets to the Germans but then came out in his support.
The paper fell under German control after the occupation of 1940. Like other newspapers which had collaborated during the war, La Dépêche de Toulouse was closed by the post-war government in 1944. It reappeared under its current name in 1947. Like its predecessor La Dépêche du Midi has a leftist stance.
- Serge Berstein; Jean-Pierre Rioux (13 March 2000). The Pompidou Years, 1969-1974. Cambridge University Press. p. 199. ISBN 978-0-521-58061-8. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Michael Palmer; Jeremy Tunstall (19 October 2006). Media Moguls. Routledge. p. 151. ISBN 978-1-134-93734-9. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "News & Business Content Bulletin" (PDF). Lexis Nexis. September 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- 140 ans ... En cette année anniversaire de la création de « La Dépêche du Midi », fondée en 1870,
- Donna Evleth (1 January 1999). The Authorized Press in Vichy and German-occupied France, 1940-1944: A Bibliography. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 55. ISBN 978-0-313-30784-3. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Nstein Technologies signs a deal with La Depeche du Midi, a leading regional newspaper in France". PR Newswire. Montreal and Paris. Retrieved 10 January 2015.