La Florida, Chile
|City and Commune|
La Florida municipality premises
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|Founded||28 November 1899|
|• Alcalde||Rodolfo Carter Fernández (UDI)|
|• Total||70.8 km2 (27.3 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||5,200/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of La Florida|
La Florida (Spanish pronunciation: [la floˈɾiða], Spanish for "the flowery") is a commune of Chile located in the South East of Santiago, Santiago Metropolitan Region. It is a residential area and its inhabitants are mostly members of a new middle and upper-middle class. It ranks number 12 out of 346 among Chilean communes in terms of Human Development Index. Its mayor is Rodolfo Carter (UDI)
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, La Florida spans an area of 70.8 km2 (27 sq mi) and has 365,674 inhabitants (176,245 men and 189,429 women). Of these, 365,563 (100%) lived in urban areas and 111 (0%) in rural areas. It currently has almost 400,000 inhabitants, which makes it the third most populous commune in Chile.
- Population below poverty line: 9.6% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 80.21, high, 13 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.773, 12 out of 346 (2005)
As a commune, La Florida is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Rodolfo Carter Fernández (UDI). The communal council has the following members:
- Nicanor Herrera Quiroga (PS)
- Marco Espinoza Cartagena (DC)
- Eulogia Lavín Infante (UDI)
- Marcelo Zunino Poblete (RN)
- José Luis Alegría Tobar (PRO)
- Orlando Vidal Duarte (RN)
- David Peralta Castro (PC)
- Reinaldo Rosales Méndez (PPD)
- Claudio Arredondo Medina (IND)
- Oscar Aguilera López (UDI)
The municipal council is composed by five members of the Alianza (centre-right coalition) and five members of the Nueva Mayoría (centre-left coalition).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, La Florida is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Gustavo Hasbún (UDI) and Camila Vallejo-Dowling (PC) as part of the 26th District, which consists entirely of the La Florida commune. It is represented in the Senate by Manuel José Ossandón Irarrázabal (RN) and Carlos Montes Cisternas (PS) as part of the 8th Senatorial Constituency (East Santiago).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of La Florida" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- es:Anexo:Comunas de Chile
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- es:Anexo:Comunas de Chile
- (Spanish) Municipality of La Florida