La Florida, Chile
|City and Commune|
Typical neighbourhood of La Florida
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|Founded||28 November 1899|
|• Alcalde||Rodolfo Carter (Ind.)|
|• Total||70.8 km2 (27.3 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||5,200/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of La Florida|
La Florida (Spanish pronunciation: [la floˈɾiða], Spanish for "the flowery") is a suburban commune of Chile located in the South East of Santiago, Santiago Metropolitan Region. It is a residential area and its inhabitants are mostly members of a new middle and upper-middle class. It ranks number 12 out of 346 among Chilean communes in terms of Human Development Index. Its mayor is Rodolfo Carter (independent pro-Chile Vamos)
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, La Florida spans an area of 70.8 km2 (27 sq mi) and has 365,674 inhabitants (176,245 men and 189,429 women). Of these, 365,563 (100%) lived in urban areas and 111 (0%) in rural areas. It currently has almost 400,000 inhabitants, which makes it the third most populous commune in Chile.
- Population below poverty line: 3.1% (2015)
- Regional quality of life index: 80.21, high, 13 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.773, 12 out of 346 (2005)
As a commune, La Florida is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2016-2020 alcalde is Rodolfo Carter Fernández (Chile Vamos), who has been the mayor since 2011.
The local council has the following members:
Chile Vamos (conservatives) (6)
- Oscar Aguilera (UDI)
- Eulogia Lavín (UDI)
- Marcelo Zunino (RN)
- Orlando Vidal (RN)
- Felipe Mancilla (RN)
- Verónica Füller (Evopoli)
Nueva Mayoría (social-democrats) (4)
- Claudio Arredondo Medina (independent)
- Nicanor Herrera (PS)
- Marcela Abedrapo (PC)
- Nicolás Hurtado (PC)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, La Florida is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Gustavo Hasbún (UDI) and Camila Vallejo-Dowling (PC) as part of the 26th District, which consists entirely of the La Florida commune. It is represented in the Senate by Manuel José Ossandón (Conservative independent) and Carlos Montes (PS) as part of the 8th Senatorial Constituency (East Santiago).
2016 Local elections in La Florida
|Rodolfo Carter||Chile Vamos||Independent||56,341||67.77%||Mayor|
|David Peralta||Nueva Mayoría||Communist Party||19,784||23.80%|
|Juan Carlos Zurita||Ecological and Citizen Power||Green Party||3,279||3.94%|
|Alexis Schumacher||United Peoples||Equality Party||2,560||3.08%|
|María Olga Morales||Justice and Transparency||Patriotic Union||1,169||1.41%|
Previously the area had a German school, Deutsche Marienschule Santiago-La Florida.
There is also an English school, The American–British School of La Florida.
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of La Florida" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- es:Anexo:Comunas de Chile
- "Poverty in Chile (2015)" (PDF). Ministry of Social Development (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 30, 2016.
- Servel.cl Votación candidatos por comuna, Alcaldes 2016
- "Deutscher Bundestag 4. Wahlperiode Drucksache IV/3672" (Archive). Bundestag (West Germany). 23 June 1965. Retrieved on 12 March 2016. p. 21/51.
- (Spanish) Municipality of La Florida