LaGrange, New York
|LaGrange, New York|
Location of LaGrange, New York
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Alan Bell (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||39.9 sq mi (103.2 km2)|
|• Land||39.7 sq mi (102.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||318 ft (97 m)|
|• Density||390/sq mi (150/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979126|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.9 square miles (103 km2), of which, 39.7 square miles (103 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it is water. The total area is 0.40% water.
Three state highways bisect the town and connect it with other towns in Dutchess County and the surrounding area. The Taconic State Parkway is a north-south parkway through LaGrange. New York State Route 55 is an east-west road that goes through the center of the town. New York State Route 82 is a highway that goes southwest-northeast through the town, from Hopewell Junction to Moores Mills.
There are also several county roads that go in various parts of the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,928 people, 5,085 households, and 4,103 families residing in the town. The population density was 376.0 people per square mile (145.2/km²). There were 5,240 housing units at an average density of 132.0 per square mile (51.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 91.98% White, 2.41% African American, 0.12% Native American, 2.94% Asian, 1.14% from other races, and 1.41% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.26% of the population.
There were 5,085 households out of which 40.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.2% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.3% were non-families. 15.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.93 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $74,881, and the median income for a family was $80,724. Males had a median income of $61,806 versus $36,955 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,872. About 1.7% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 2.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Pierre A. Barker, former Mayor of Buffalo, New York
- Isaac R. Harrington, former Mayor of Buffalo, New York
- Mike Ferri, bassist for We Are The In Crowd
- Will Ferri, drummer for Against The Current
Communities and locations in LaGrange
- Arthursburg – A hamlet at the south town line.
- Billings – A hamlet north of LaGrangeville.
- Freedom Plains – A hamlet northwest of LaGrangeville.
- James Baird State Park – A state park in the north part of the town.
- LaGrangeville (or La Grangeville) – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
- Manchester Bridge – A hamlet in the western part of the town.
- Moores Mill – A location in the northeast part of the town.
- Noxon – A location west of LaGrangeville.
- Rombout Ridge – A location near the west town line.
- Titus – A hamlet near the west town line.
- Arlington High School, LaGrange Middle School, and Union Vale Middle School of the Arlington Central School District are all in LaGrange, as are several of the School District's primary, elementary and intermediate schools.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Lagrangeville". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LaGrange, New York.|
- Town of LaGrange
- LaGrange Association Library
- Trinity Methodist Church in LaGrange
- Freedom Plains Presbyterian Church in LaGrange
- Arlington Central School District