La Palma Airport
La Palma Airport
Aeropuerto de La Palma
|Location||Breña Baja and Villa de Mazo|
|Elevation AMSL||33 m / 108 ft|
La Palma Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto de La Palma) (IATA: SPC, ICAO: GCLA) is an airport located in Breña Baja and Villa de Mazo, 8 km (5.0 mi) south of the city of Santa Cruz de La Palma on La Palma in the Canary Islands. It is operated by Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea (AENA), who operate the majority of civil airports in Spain.
The airport is served mainly by Binter Canarias and CanaryFly with island-hopping flights from Tenerife and Gran Canaria, but there are flights to the main Europe cities and charter flights from mainland Europe such as Germany, United Kingdom, Scandinavia and the Netherlands. In 2018, the airport had 1,420,277 passengers in the 22,033 operations handled. Cargo traffic totalled 565 tonnes.
A new terminal building opened in July 2011, giving the airport an ultimate capacity of 3 million passengers per year. The new terminal has 25 check-in desks, 4 baggage carousels, and 9 boarding gates. The new terminal is farther back than the old terminal, meaning that apron space is maximised. There are still no plans to build a taxiway parallel to the runway, so aircraft still have to backtaxi on the runway, limiting capacity to 10 operations per hour. The airport also has a new control tower.
Airlines and destinations
|Binter Canarias|| Gran Canaria, Tenerife–North, Tenerife–South|
Seasonal: Fuerteventura, Lanzarote
|Condor|| Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich |
|CanaryFly||Gran Canaria, Tenerife–North|
|Eurowings||Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Stuttgart|
|TUI Airways||London–Gatwick, Manchester|
|TUI fly Belgium||Brussels|
|TUI fly Netherlands||Seasonal: Amsterdam|
- "EAD Basic - Error Page". www.ead.eurocontrol.int.
- "Estadísticas - Aeropuertos Españoles - aena.es". www.aena.es.
- "Presentación - Aeropuerto de La Palma - Aena.es". www.aena.es.
- "La Palma Airport: Introduction". AENA. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- Some infrastructural data are from an old AENA website page that is no longer available. General airport information from AENA as of 2015 is here: La Palma Airport SPC 2015
- Liu, Jim. "Binter expands Santa Cruz de la Palma service from July 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- condor.com - Flugplan Sommer 2020 (German) retrieved 8 June 2020
- Liu, Jim (7 November 2019). "CanaryFly adds Gran Canaria – Santa Cruz de la Palma from Nov 2019". routesonline.com.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "easyJet Plans New Routes in 16Q4".CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "eurowings new w17 routes as of 04may17". routesonline.com. 4 May 2017. Retrieved 4 May 2017.