La Razón (Madrid)
|Political alignment||Conservatism, Catholicism, Spanish nationalism, Right wing, Monarchism|
La Razón (In Spanish: "The Reason") is a daily newspaper based in Madrid, Spain. It has the sixth-highest circulation among general-interest Spanish dailies, and the fourth-highest among those based in Madrid.
History and stance
La Razón was founded in 1998 by Luis Maria Ansón. The paper is owned by Grupo Planeta and based in Madrid. The newspaper's editorial stances are primarily liberal economically and conservative socially. The paper has also a rightist stance.
La Razón had a circulation of 140,000 copies in 2003. The 2008 circulation of the paper was 153,024 copies. It was 124,284 copies in 2009, 118,466 copies in 2010 and 103,789 copies in 2011. Between July 2010 and June 2011 the paper had a circulation of 109,166 copies.
La Razón has been a focus of attention for the intentionality in the design of the front pages, appearing even in other media and causing big debates in the social networks. In Internet it is possible to find competitions to vote and decide which front page is the most controversial.
The edition of 9 May 2012 caused a big aversion in some sectors, and it was criticized by the Le Monde newspaper, where it appeared photos of five students with names and surnames and a text below describing them as bad students and stirrers to make a call for participation on a protest against the cutbacks on education. The student union decided to report the newspaper.
- Figures covering July 2010 to June 2011 from Spain's Oficina de Justificación de la Difusión, Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- "La Razón Digital – Traducir EN". Semantix's Blog. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- Rosario de Mateo; Laura Bergés; Anna Garnatxe (2010). "Crisis, what crisis? The media: business and journalism in times of crisis". tripleC 8 (2). Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Enric Castelló; David Domingo (2005). "Spanish media facing new media: a challenge to journalists?". International Journal of Iberian Studies 18 (3). Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Country Profile: Spain". Institute of Media and Communications Study. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Himedia Spain and La Razón newspaper sign a digital media agreement" (PDF). Himedia Group. September 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Raphael Minder; Eric Pfanner (23 October 2012). "Spain’s Troubles Catch Up With a Storied Newspaper". The New York Times (Madrid). Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Stefaan Blancke; Hans Henrik Hjermitslev; Peter C. Kjærgaard, eds. (21 October 2014). Creationism in Europe. JHU Press. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4214-1562-8. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- "World Press Trends" (PDF). World Association of Newspapers. Paris. 2004. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Alan Albarran (10 September 2009). Handbook of Spanish Language Media. Routledge. p. 25. ISBN 978-1-135-85430-0. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "National newspapers total circulation". International Federation of Audit Bureaux of Circulations. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "La polémica portada de La Razón agita las redes". La informacion. May 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Las portadas más polémicas de La Razón". The Ranking. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "La portada de 'La Razón' revuelve a la izquierda". Publico. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Canadian pictured as Paris terrorist in suspected Gamergate smear". The Guardian. 2015-11-16.