|• Alcalde||José Manuel Palacios (UDI)|
|• Total||23.4 km2 (9.0 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,100/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (CLT)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of La Reina|
La Reina is a residential commune inhabited by mostly mid to upper-mid income families and high-income groups. The Eulogio Sánchez Airport and Military Hospital are both located in the southern part of the commune.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, La Reina spans an area of 23.4 km2 (9 sq mi) and has 96,762 inhabitants (44,293 men and 52,469 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population grew by 4.7% (4,352 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The 2006 projected population was 96,551.[failed verification]
- Average annual household income: US$42,248 (PPP, 2006)[failed verification]
- Population below poverty line: 7.8% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 86.23, high, 4 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.883, 5 out of 341 (2003)
- Michelle Bachelet, former President of Chile
- Fernando Castillo Velasco, architect, former mayor of La Reina and former governor of the Santiago Metropolitan Region
- Amanda de Negri Quintana, lawyer and former political prisoner under Pinochet's regime
- Mónica Echeverría Yáñez, writer
- Fernando González, retired tennis player
- Erich Honecker, former president of East Germany
- Margot Honecker, former Education Minister of East Germany, wife of Erich Honecker
- Ricardo Lagos, former President of Chile
As a commune, La Reina is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2016-2020 mayor is José Manuel Palacios Parra (UDI). The communal council has the following members:
- Pamela Gallegos Mengoni (UDI)
- Manuel José Covarrubias Cerda (UDI)
- María Olivia Gazmuri Schleyer (RN)
- Rodolfo del Real Mihovilovic (RN)
- María Catalina Rubio Salinas (RD)
- Álvaro Andrés Delgado Martínez (PDC)
- Sara Campos Sallato (PDC)
- Adriana Muñoz Barrientos (PPD)
La Reina is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Jaime Pilowsky (PDC) and José Antonio Kast (UDI) as part of the 24th electoral district (together with Peñalolén). The commune is represented in the Senate by Carlos Montes (PS) and Manuel José Ossandón (RN) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- The Grange School
- Andrée English School
- Saint John's Villa Academy
- British Royal School
- Colegio de La Salle
- Colegio Santo Domingo
- Educational Complex of La Reina (Complejo Educacional de La Reina)
- Swiss Confederation School (Colegio Confederación Suiza)
- Yangtsé School (Colegio Yangtsé)
- Palestinian School (Escuela Palestina)
- San Constantino School (Colegio San Constantino)
- Eugenio María de Hostos School (Liceo Eugenio María de Hostos)
- Developmental School for Special Needs (Escuela Especial de Desarrollo)
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of La Reina" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)" (PDF). Government of Chile, Mideplán (in Spanish). UNDP. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Consejales". Archived from the original on 2016-12-15. Retrieved 2016-12-07.