La Reina del Sur (TV series)
|La Reina del Sur|
|Created by||Roberto Stopello|
|Based on||La Reina del Sur|
by Arturo Pérez-Reverte
|Story by||Arturo Pérez-Reverte|
|Creative director(s)||Gabriela Monroy|
|Narrated by||Kate del Castillo|
|Theme music composer||Bello Jaime Teodoro|
|Opening theme||"La Reina del Sur" performed by Los Cuates de Sinaloa|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||123 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Patricio Wills|
|Cinematography||Alejandro García W.|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
|First shown in||United States|
|Original release||28 February 2011 –|
|Related shows||Queen of the South|
La Reina del Sur (lit. The Queen of the South) is a Spanish-language telenovela based on a novel of the same name by Spanish author Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The first season is produced by the American television network Telemundo in conjunction with the Antena 3 network and RTI Producciones, while season 2 is co-produced by Telemundo Global Studios and Netflix. It premiered on 28 February 2011. The series depicts the rise of Teresa Mendoza (Kate del Castillo), a young woman from Mexico who becomes the most powerful drug trafficker in southern Spain.
With a $10 million budget it is the second most expensive telenovela ever produced by Telemundo, the first being El Señor de los Cielos. An English language remake, Queen of the South, premiered in June 2016 on USA Network, starring Alice Braga.
The series has been renewed for a second season that premiered on 22 April 2019.
Season 1 (2011)
The series is the television adaptation of the literary work of the same name of Spanish author Arturo Pérez-Reverte. It is the chronicle of the rise to power of a Mexican woman within the world of international drug trafficking. Teresa Mendoza begins her adventure as a humble young woman in love with a pilot employed by the Mexican cartels. When they execute her boyfriend, Teresa flees, desperate to avoid the same fate. Her escape takes her to the south of Spain where she tries to start a new life. However, she is once again immersed in the world of narcotics trafficking, and for a second time, she suffers the death of a beloved man. After several blows, Teresa decides to take the reins of her destiny and becomes the head of her own organization. Through strategic alliances and a strong sense for business, Teresa "La Mexicana" begins to control an intercontinental drug distribution business. However, her great success is accompanied by a high personal price, and Teresa's happiness and heart are tested.
Season 2 (2019)
The season revolves around Teresa Mendoza eight years after the events of the first season. Disappearing from the rest of the world, Teresa now lives an idyllic existence in Italian Tuscany, but the kidnapping of her daughter forces her to reintroduce herself into the underworld of drug trafficking and once again confront her old enemies and the past she tried to leave behind.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||63||28 February 2011||30 May 2011|
|2||60||22 April 2019||29 July 2019|
|S||12||27 April 2019||26 July 2019|
- Kate del Castillo as Teresa Mendoza
- Humberto Zurita as Epifanio Vargas
- Rafael Amaya as Raimundo Dávila Parra / El Güero (season 1)
- Iván Sánchez as Santiago López Fisterra / El Gallego (season 1)
- Cristina Urgel as Patricia O'Farrell (season 1)
- Alberto Jiménez as Oleg Yasikov (season 1)
- Miguel de Miguel as Teo Aljarafe
- Gabriel Porras as Roberto Gato Márquez / El Gato Fierros (season 1)
- Salvador Zerboni as Ramiro Vargas / El Ratas (season 1)
- Nacho Fresneda as Dris Larbi (season 1)
- Mónica Estarreado as Fátima Mansur (season 1)
- Alejandro Calva as César Güemes / Batman
- Cuca Escribano as Sheila
- Dagoberto Gama as Potequim Gálvez / El Pote (season 1)
- Christian Tappan as Willy Rangel
- Eduardo Velasco as Coronel Abdelkader Chaib
- Alfonso Vallejo as Manolo Céspedes (season 1)
- Pablo Castañón as Lalo Veiga (season 1)
- Miguel Ángel Blanco as Siso Pernas
- Lorena Santos as Soraya (season 1)
- Sara Maldonado as Verónica Cortés / Guadalupe Romero (season 1)
- Carmen Navarro as Marcela / La Conejo
- Santiago Meléndez as Saturnino "Nino" Juárez (season 1)
- Juan José Arjona as Pablo Flores
- Raoul Bova as Francesco Belmondo (season 2)
- Paola Núñez as Manuela (season 2)
- Mark Tacher as Alejandro Alcalá (season 2)
- Flavio Medina as Zurdo Villa (season 2)
- Luisa Gavasa as Cayetana Segovia (season 2)
- Antonio Gil as Oleg Yosikov (season 2)
- Kika Edgar as Genoveva Alcalá (season 2)
- Patricia Reyes Spíndola as Carmen Martínez (season 2)
- Carmen Flores Sandoval as Charo (season 2)
- Emannuel Orenday as Danilo Márquez (season 2)
- Alejandro Speitzer as Ray Dávila (season 2)
- Tiago Correa as Jonathan Peres (season 2)
- Sara Vidorreta as Rocío Aljarafe (season 2)
- Agata Herranz as Paloma Aljarafe (season 2)
- Isabella Sierra as Sofía Dantes (season 2)
- Karim El-Kerem as Mohamed Mansur (season 1)
- Klaus as Eddie Álvarez (season 1)
- Lincoln Palomeque as Faustino Sánchez Godoy
- Nerea Garmendia as Eugenia Montijo (season 1)
- Juan Pablo Raba as Jaime Gutiérrez Solana (season 1)
- Ezequiel Montalt as Jaime "Jimmy" Arenas (season 1)
- Rodolfo Valdés as El Chino Parra (season 1)
- Jesús Castro as Jesús (season 2)
- Pol Monen as Juan (season 2)
- Eduardo Yáñez as Antonio Alcalá (season 2)
- Aitor Luna as Pedro (season 2)
- Eduardo Santamarina as Mariano Bravo (season 2)
- Eric Roberts as Erick Sheldon (season 2)
- María Camila Giraldo as Jimena Montes (season 2)
- Vera Mercado as Virginia Vargas (season 2)
- Norma Angélica as Morgana (season 2)
- Eduardo Pérez as Sergio (season 2)
- Dimitry Anisimov as Anton (season 2)
- Aroha Hafez as Triana (season 2)
- Anna Ciocchetti as Marietta Lancaster (season 2)
- Roberto Abraham Wohlmuth as Lencho (season 2)
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||Avg. viewers|
|1||Mon–Fri 10pm/9c||63||28 February 2011||2.4||30 May 2011||4.2||TBD|
|2||60||22 April 2019||2.36||29 July 2019||2.23||1.89|
Awards and nominations
|2011||People in Spanish Awards|
|Best Telenovela||Roberto Stopello||Won|
|Best Actress||Kate del Castillo||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Humberto Zurita||Nominated|
|Best Villain||Salvador Zerboni||Nominated|
|Newcomer of the Year||Cristina Urgel||Won|
|Sweethearts||Kate del Castillo & Iván Sánchez||Nominated|
|2012||TVyNovelas Awards Colombia|
|Best Series||Roberto Stopello||Nominated|
|Favorite Production||Roberto Stopello||Nominated|
|Best Villain Of Series||Humberto Zurita||Nominated|
|1st Your World Awards|
|Novela of the Year||Roberto Stopello||Nominated|
|Favorite Lead Actress||Kate del Castillo||Nominated|
|Best Bad Luck Video||Amor que mata||Nominated|
One of the real life characters that inspired the novel is Sandra Ávila Beltrán, known as the Queen of the Pacific, famous for being one of the first female drug traffickers to reach the level of "Boss" in the Mexican cartels, a place usually reserved for men.
- Guthrie, Marisa (1 April 2011). "How the Telenovela Is Beating the Networks". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- N'Duka, Amanda (9 June 2016). "Queen Of The South EP & Cast Talk Female Empowerment And The Importance of Keeping It Real". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (23 September 2014). "La Reina Del Sur Adaptation Picked Up By USA Network As Drama Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- "TELEMUNDO ANNOUNCES THE PREMIERE DATE OF THE RETURN OF "LA REINA DEL SUR" STARRING KATE DEL CASTILLO FOR MONDAY, APRIL 22 AT 10PM/9C". nbcumv.com. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "La reina del sur 2: tráiler, fecha de estreno, personajes y lo que debes saber". laprensa.peru.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "ONLY FIVE MORE DAYS UNTIL LA REINA ARRIVES!". nbcumv.com. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- González, Moisés. "La reina del sur 2 ya tiene fecha de estreno". People en Español. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Este es el primer avance de La Reina del Sur 2". El Salvador (in Spanish). 17 May 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "LA REINA DEL SUR, MUST-SEE SEASON FINALE STARRING KATE DEL CASTILLO COMES TO AN EXPLOSIVE END THIS MONDAY, JULY 29 AT 10P/9C ON TELEMUNDO". nbcumv.com. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "'La Reina del Sur': Luisa Gavasa se une a la serie de Netflix en su segunda temporada". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- Quijorna, Cristian. "'La Reina del Sur': Sara Vidorreta ficha por la nueva temporada de la serie en Netflix". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Palenzuela, Fernando. "'La Reina del Sur': Pol Monen ficha por la segunda temporada de la serie en Netflix". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Telemundo's Epic Original Production La Reina Del Sur Delivers Highest Premiere Ratings In Network History". Tvbythenumbers. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Sellers, John. "'La Reina del Sur' Finale Does Muy, Muy Bien for Telemundo". thewrap.com. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "TELEMUNDO'S 'LA REINA DEL SUR' - #1 SHOW IN AMERICA AT 10PM AMONG ADULTS 18-49". nbcumv.com. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- Pucci, Douglas. "Monday Final Ratings: 'La Reina del Sur' Second Season Finale on Telemundo Wins its Hour Among Adults 18-49 and 18-34". programminginsider.com. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- TELEMUNDO PRESENTS THE FIRST EDITION OF “PREMIOS TU MUNDO” (YOUR WORLD AWARDS) CELEBRATING THE BEST IN POP CULTURE THURSDAY, AUGUST 30 FROM 8PM-11PM/ET
- Premios tu mundo 2012: Categorías y Nominados
- Lista de ganadores de la primera edición de los premios Tu Mundo[permanent dead link]