La Romana International Airport
|La Romana International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional La Romana
|IATA: LRM – ICAO: MDLR|
|Owner||City of La Romana|
|Operator||Central Romana Corporation|
|Location||City of La Romana in La Romana Province, Dominican Republic|
|Elevation AMSL||213 ft / 65 m|
Source: Departamento Aeroportuario
La Romana International Airport (IATA: LRM, ICAO: MDLR) is located on the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic, adjacent to the tourist town of La Romana and the resort of Casa de Campo. The airport, which opened in December 2000, is about 68 miles (110km) from the capital, Santo Domingo. The single terminal is built in the style of an old sugar mill.
The current La Romana airport replaced an earlier La Romana airport (same name, same IATA), which was located south of the Zona Franca, on the south western side of Casa de Campo, which was approximately at. The earlier airport serviced (aside from private planes) one daily American Airlines flight from Miami, served by a Boeing 727, and a couple of American Eagle flights.
The airport consists of a main terminal with 4 modern gates. It has facilities for passengers and for the maintenance of aircraft. This airport receives most of the private flights in the country, principally businessmen that come to La Romana for a vacation in Casa de Campo.
In 2008, 374,724 passengers passed through the airport.
Airlines and destinations
- 7 February 2008, A Caribair flight crashed close to La Romana, when the engines shut down. There were no fatalities although the pilot was injured in the accident. The aircraft was a Britten Norman Islander BN-2A, registered as HI-653, that departed from Cibao International Airport to Punta Cana International Airport via La Romana International Airport at 6 pm. There is a commission to investigate this accident.
- Departamento Aeroportuario – 2008 passenger statistics
- Lebas, Alain (22 July 2013). "Air Europa : une nouvelle ligne vers La Romana en République Dominicaine" [Air Europa: A new route to La Romana in the Dominican Republic] (in French). Air Journal. Archived from the original on 22 July 2013.
- "Seaborne Airlines Introduces Service to Dominican republic". PR Newswire. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- La Romana International Airport
- Airport information for MDLR at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for MDLR at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Current weather for MDLR at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for LRM at Aviation Safety Network