La Salle Township, Michigan
La Salle Township, Michigan
The community of La Salle along M-125
Location within Monroe County
|• Supervisor||Alan Goldsmith|
|• Total||26.8 sq mi (69.4 km2)|
|• Land||26.6 sq mi (69.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||604 ft (184 m)|
|• Density||187.7/sq mi (72.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
48133, 48140, 48145, 48157, 48161
|GNIS feature ID||1626593|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 26.8 square miles (69 km2), of which 26.6 square miles (69 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (0.63%) is water.
Interstate 75 passes through the township with one interchange at exit 9 (Otter Creek Road). U.S. Route 24 and M-125 also travel through the township, where they are known as Telegraph and South Dixie Highway respectively. Monroe Charter Township and Raisinville Township border La Salle Township on the north, with Ida Township on the west and Erie Township on the south. Lake Erie comprises the township's eastern border. The township contains five zip codes; the majority of the township is located in 48145. The northern border contains 48161, which is primarily used for the city of Monroe and Monroe Charter Township. The southern edge contains a small portion of 48133 and 48157, the latter of which is used primarily by the city of Luna Pier. A very small portion of the western edge along Minx Road is within the 48140 zip code.
La Salle Township is served by three different public school districts. The northern portion falls within Monroe Public Schools. The southern portion is served by Mason Consolidated Schools. Small sections along the western border are served by Ida Public Schools. La Salle Township itself contains no schools.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,001 people, 1,765 households, and 1,440 families residing in the township. The population density was 187.7 per square mile (72.5/km²). There were 1,852 housing units at an average density of 69.5 per square mile (26.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.96% White, 0.36% African American, 0.40% Native American, 0.26% Asian, 0.28% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.32% of the population.
There were 1,765 households out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.2% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.4% were non-families. 14.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.83 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 29.2% from 25 to 44, 27.4% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 106.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $63,693, and the median income for a family was $69,000. Males had a median income of $51,884 versus $30,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,237. About 2.6% of families and 3.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
- La Salle is an unincorporated area centered at in the northern portion of the township at the intersection of South Dixie Highway (M-125) and LaPlaisance Road–North Otter Creek Road. As an unincorporated area, La Salle has no legal boundaries or demographic statistics of its own, and the community itself is under the control of the township. La Salle contains its own post office.
- North Shores and Grand View Beach comprise a small community along Lake Erie at . This community, entirely within La Salle, has a LaSalle mailing address and uses the 48145 zip code. North Shores and Grand View Beach are lightly populated, and perhaps the area is best known for nearby Toledo Beach Marina. Residents of Grand View Beach and North Shores are at the southernmost edge of Monroe Public Schools.
- Coryat, John (1996–2009). "48145 - La Salle, Michigan". Retrieved March 7, 2010.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: La Salle Township, Michigan
- Michigan Department of Information Technology (March 2008). "Monroe ISD public school boundaries" (PDF). Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: La Salle, Michigan
- Toledo Beach Marina. "Toledo Beach Marina". Retrieved March 8, 2010.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Toledo Beach, Michigan