La Tonya Johnson
La Tonya Johnson
|Member of the Wisconsin Senate|
from the 6th district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Nikiya Harris Dodd|
|Born||June 22, 1972|
La Grange, Tennessee
|Alma mater||Tennessee State University|
La Tonya Johnson (born June 22, 1972) is an American childcare provider, trade union activist, and politician from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She serves in the Wisconsin State Senate, representing the seat formerly held by Nikiya Harris Dodd, having easily defeated her opponents in the Fall 2016 primary election, and being unopposed in the general election.
Johnson was born June 22, 1972 in La Grange, Tennessee. She earned a B.S. degree in criminal justice from Tennessee State University, and has lived in Milwaukee for twenty-eight years. She owned and operated Anointed Child Care Service, an in-home daycare service, and served as president of Local 502 of AFSCME, the union which represents in-home daycare providers in Milwaukee County. She has one daughter, Sydney.
Nomination and election
When Barbara Toles resigned from her Assembly District 17 seat, Johnson was one of four candidates who vied for the Democratic nomination in this recently redistricted inner city district. She achieved an easy plurality, with 43% of the vote, in a field which included a former Milwaukee Area Technical College Board member with UAW ties, and an aide to Assemblywoman Elizabeth Coggs.
In November 2016, Johnson was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate. She had easily defeated two opponents (local government lobbyist Thomas Harris and Milwaukee School Board member Michael Bonds) in the August Democratic primary, and was unopposed in the general election.
- official page on Assembly website
- Bauter, Alison. "A look at Democrats running in 17th Assembly District" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel August 11, 2012
- Local 502 home page
- District Map based on 2011 Wisconsin Act 43
- CBS 58 Election Results
- Bauter, Alison. "Union leader Johnson takes Toles' District 17 Assembly seat" Milwaukee Journal Sentinel blog; August 14, 2012
- Nov. 6 general election results:Assembly Dist. 17 jsonline.com November 7, 2012
- Wisconsin Elections and Ethics Commissions, "2016 Partisan Primary," accessed January 7, 2017
- 'Wisconsin 6th Senate District Results: La Tonya Johnson Wins,' New York Times, November 16, 2016