La Vergne, Tennessee
|La Vergne, Tennessee|
Honoring our past, building our future
Location of La Vergne in Rutherford County, Tennessee
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Mayor||Jason Cole|
|• Vice mayor||Matt Church|
|• Total||25.1 sq mi (65.0 km2)|
|• Land||24.8 sq mi (64.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.31 sq mi (0.80 km2) 1.20%|
|Elevation||584 ft (178 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (500/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1290433|
La Vergne (// lə-VURN) is a city in Rutherford County, Tennessee. The population was 32,588 at the 2010 census and 34,423 in 2018. La Vergne lies within the Nashville Metropolitan Statistical Area.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2018)
La Vergne is located in northern Rutherford County southeast of Nashville. It directly borders the Antioch neighborhood of Nashville on the northwest, Smyrna on the southeast, and Percy Priest Lake on the northeast. Interstate 24 and U.S. routes 41 and 70S pass through the community. The Percy Priest Reservoir on the Stones River lies to the north of the community.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 25.1 square miles (65 km2), of which 24.8 square miles (64 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) (1.20%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the special census of 2018, there were 34,423 people (from 18,687 in 2000 census), 11,204 households (from 6,536 households in 2000), and 8,901 families residing in the city. The population density was 753.7 people per square mile (290.9/km²). There were 6,994 housing units at an average density of 282.1 per square mile (108.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 84.50% White, 11.02% African American, 0.43% Native American, 1.32% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 1.28% from other races, and 1.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.54% of the population.
There were 6,536 households out of which 46.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.9% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.6% were non-families. 15.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the city, the population was spread out with 31.4% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 38.9% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 4.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $51,478, and the median income for a family was $55,226. Males had a median income of $35,743 versus $26,323 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,580. About 4.1% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.7% of those under age 18 and 5.7% of those age 65 or over.
The largest subdivision of homes in the state of Tennessee, Lake Forest Estates, is located in La Vergne, encompassing more than 3,100 homes.
The top employers in the city are:
- Ingram Book Company: 1,500
- Bridgestone/Firestone Inc.: 900
- Venture Express: 500
- Cardinal Health: 300
In November 2015, Hong Kong based Sinomax announced they would be investing $28 million into making the defunct Whirlpool plant into their North American manufacturing headquarters, creating 350 jobs. This investment is the largest by a Chinese company in Tennessee's history.
- La Vergne Primary School
- Roy Waldron School
- La Vergne Lake Elementary School
- Rock Springs Elementary School
- La Vergne Middle School
- La Vergne High School
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: La Vergne, Tennessee
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- "State & County QuickFacts: La Vergne (city), Tennessee". United States Census Bureau. 2011. Archived from the original on June 26, 2012. Retrieved March 3, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "2018 La Vergne Special Census | La Vergne, TN". www.lavergnetn.gov. Retrieved 2018-08-27.
- History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present. Goodspeed Publishing Company. 1886. p. 834.
- "La Vergne Quadrangle, Tennessee, 7.5-Minute Series (Topographic)". U.S. Geological Survey. 2002 .
- "Map of La Vergne, Tennessee". TopoView. U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2014-05-22. Retrieved 2014-11-06. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Camp, April (July 3, 2011). "La Vergne could be no more". The Murfreesboro Post. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Welcome to Lightning Source". Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- BF Staff. "Sinomax Group To Create 350 Jobs In Tennessee". Businessfacilities.com. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
- "Plastics News". Plastics News. 2015-11-11. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LaVergne, Tennessee.|