Girl on the Bridge
|Girl on the Bridge|
United States theatrical poster
|Directed by||Patrice Leconte|
|Produced by||Christian Fechner|
|Written by||Serge Frydman|
|Edited by||Joëlle Hache|
|Distributed by||Paramount Classics (USA)|
The plot centres around knifethrower Gabor (Auteuil) and a girl called Adèle (Paradis), who intends to kill herself by jumping from a bridge. Gabor intervenes to prevent the suicide and persuades Adèle to become the target girl in his knifethrowing act. The film then follows their relationship as they travel around Europe with the act. Their companionship and teamwork mean great luck for both of them. Then they get separated and their lives once again become luckless. The film ends on a bridge in Istanbul, this time with her saving him from suicide.
- Vanessa Paradis as Adèle
- Daniel Auteuil as Gabor
- Frédéric Pfluger as Contortionist
- Demetre Georgalas as Takis
- Catherine Lascault as Irene
- Isabelle Petit-Jacques as Bride
- Mireille Mossé as Miss Memory
- Didier Lemoine as TGV ticket conductor
- Mylène Farmer as Irene (uncredited guest appearance in a hallway and beside the stage)
- Bertie Cortez as Kusak
- Stéphane Metzger as Italian waiter
- Claude Aufaure as Suicide victim
- Farouk Bermouga as TGV waiter
- Nicolas Donato as Mr. Loyal
- Enzo Etokyo as Italian megaphone
- Giorgios Gatzios as Barker
Paramount Classics acquired the United States distribution rights to this film and gave it a limited U.S. theatrical release on July 28, 2000; the film went on to gross $1,708,839 in U.S. theaters, which was a good result for a non-English film. Ruth Vitale (president of Paramount Classics at that time) declared herself pleased with the film's performance in the U.S. market. However, Paramount did not release the film on DVD until July 2008.
- "Girl on the Bridge (1999) - Box office / business". IMDb. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Foreign-language fare lost in B.O. translation". Variety. 7 September 2006. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
|This article about a romantic drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a French film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|