This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||NYSE: TBI
S&P 600 Component
|Subsidiary of TrueBlue|
|Founded||Kent, Washington, 1989|
|Headquarters||Tacoma, Washington, U.S.|
Number of locations
|United States, Canada|
|Robert J. (Bob) Sullivan, Chairman
Steve Cooper, CEO and Director
|Products||Temporary workers for manual day labor|
Number of employees
600,000 temporary employees to jobs in construction, manufacturing, hospitality services, landscaping, warehousing, retail and more.
|Footnotes / references
People Ready (formerly known as Labor Ready), based in Tacoma, Washington, is an American temporary employment agency that specializes in day labor for construction industry, and light industry. People Ready is part of TrueBlue which also includes CLP, Spartan Staffing, Plane Techs, and Centerline Drivers. TrueBlue is a public company, NYSE: TBI.
Company records indicate around 10,000 workers (roughly 1.6% of its claimed more than 600,000 workers) are injured at work every year. According to a 2002 report by the AFL-CIO Building and Construction Trades Department, Labor Ready employees are injured at three times the U.S. national average rate. Every year, 25% of Labor Ready employees are injured.
Misclassification of workers
Labor Ready has come under fire for misclassifying workers (for example, as clerical rather than construction), which has resulted in the company paying less money (and in some states, nothing at all) into state workers' compensation funds than would otherwise be required. It has also been alleged that this conduct is systematic and intentional.
In 2007, the parent corporation was renamed TrueBlue, Inc. to reflect the company’s expanding family of brands. It changed its corporate headquarters web address to http://www.trueblue.com, and its stock ticker to TBI. Labor Ready remains TrueBlue's flagship brand.
- "TrueBlue, Inc. Company Information". Hoovers.
- "Specialized Workforce Solutions". TrueBlue. 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Construction Jobs | Construction Staffing | Industrial Staffing | Industrial Jobs". Clp.com. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Manufacturing and Logistics Jobs and Temporary Staffing". Spartan Staffing. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Aviation Jobs - Maintenance - Staffing & Recruiting". PlaneTechs. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Professional Drivers You Can Count On". Centerline Drivers. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- Fleecing the Day-Laborers -- and the Workers' Comp System: The Labor Ready Story, Reprinted from Mother Jones.
- Bernardo Fallas "Labor Ready's Ethics Questioned By Many," World Internet News Co-Operative, April 20, 2004.
- New Report by Building and Construction Trades Department, AFL-CIO Shows Labor Ready Workers Comp Misclassification Widespread, Long-Term. PR Newswire, May 28, 2002.