Working for your health and well-being
|Société Anonyme with Management Board and Supervisory Board|
|Industry||Pharmaceutical industry, Cosmetics|
|Jean-Paul Berthomé, CEO|
|Products||Medicines, Dermo-Cosmetics, Health products|
|Revenue||269.8 million Euros|
Number of employees
Laboratoires Expanscience was created in 1950 by Paul Berthomé and Claude Guillon and is a pharmaceutical laboratory specializing in dermo-cosmetics, rheumatology, dental health, dermatology and the marketing of active cosmetic ingredients. It owns well known brands Mustela and Noviderm.
In 1950, Laboratoires Expanscience was created by Paul Berthomé and Claude Guillon and specialized in dermo-cosmetics.
Laboratoires Expanscience began to develop the international side of its business from 1963 with the opening of a Belgian subsidiary.
In 1996 Laboratoires Expanscience once again diversified its business with the introduction of a range of dermatological medicines, followed in 2001 by the launch of its dental health business.
In 2002 the business continued its international expansion with the opening of a subsidiary in Mexico, followed in 2009 by one in Poland and in 2013 with the opening of 2 subsidiaries in Brazil and Turkey then, in 2014 in Australia and Canada.
The Expanscience Brands
Mustela is a line of products for baby care. The product line includes the following ranges:Mustela Bébé, Mustela Dermo-Pediatrics, Mustela Maternity and Mustela Sun Protection:
Noviderm is a line of skin care products developed in 1996. Noviderm products are used to treat skin problems in adolescents and adults.
Research and Development
Laboratoires Expanscience has devoted part of its business to research and development.
In 2014, Laboratoires Expanscience invested 4% of its turnover in research and development. Between 1997 and 2014, Laboratoires Expanscience has filed 85 patents in France and produced 54 scientific publications.
Laboratoires Expanscience research work is carried out in three centers at its Épernon site:
- The innovation centre which works on the development of new active ingredients based on plant material or derived from green chemistry
- The product development center which works on the development of new cosmetic products
- The safety, quality and effectiveness center which ensures the quality and chemical safety of the products and materials
From 2005 Laboratoires Expanscience has set up a Corporate Social Responsibility framework to incorporate sustainable development into its corporate strategy.
Its action on sustainable development is carried out in 4 areas of work:
- The products - by offering products and active ingredients which are safe for consumers and kind to the environment and overall to reduce their environmental impact,
- Purchasing and supplies -by integrating the sustainable development criteria into the purchasing process and by ensuring that biodiversity and local populations are respected and by fighting against bio piracy
- Environmental practices – by working to reduce its environmental impact in particular by the reduction of water and energy consumption
- Social responsibility – by improving quality of life at work for employees and favoring social investment and dialogue with all its stakeholders
In February 2012 Laboratoires Expanscience joined the Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT), gradually ensuring that its sourcing practices promote the conservation of biodiversity, respect traditional knowledge and assure the equitable sharing of benefits all along the supply chain.
The Mustela Foundation
Founded in 1982 by the President of Laboratoires Expanscience under the aegis of the Fondation de France, the Mustela Foundation is aimed at child health professionals and its objective is to encourage work and projects on children’s development and their relationship with their environment.
Since its creation the Mustela Foundation has supported research by awarding scientific research grants and since 2007 via the Research-Action prize which finances a project led by practicians on the ground and/or researchers working on a topic set out by the scientific committee of the Mustela Foundation.
In 2006, the Foundation launched a prize for social pediatrics in partnership with the Société Française de Pédiatrie to support a project promoting the positive treatment of children and their families.The Foundation also carries out action for health protection by distributing free literature.
The Foundation launched a prize for maieutic in France in 2012 ans in Belgium in 2013.
In 2014, Laboratoires Expanscience had a turnover of 269.8 million Euros, 53.9% made in France and 46.1% internationally.
Breakdown of turnover by business sector
The 2012 turnover can be broken down as follows:
- Dermo-Cosmetics: 57.8%
- Health: 42.2%
- "Laboratoires Expanscience – Chiffres clés et répartition du chiffre d’affaire CA". Expanscience.com. 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "La saga des marques : Mustela". Plurielles. 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Key dates". Laboratoires Expanscience. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Mustela products". Laboratoires Expanscience. Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Weasel". Retrieved 2014-12-10.
- "Gros plan sur le département R&D des Laboratoires EXPANSCIENCE". Gazettelabo.fr. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Laboratoires Expanscience". Unglobalcompact.org. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- Emballages Magazine hors serie - Décembre 2009 p34 et p35 : Expanscience Développe des conditionnements écoconçus
- "Laboratoires Expanscience joins the Union for Ethical BioTrade". Ethicalbiotrade.org. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- Cosmétique hebdo - 6 avril 2010 p3