Laburnum railway station
Eastbound view in January 2007
|Location||Laburnum Street, Blackburn|
|Distance||17.82 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||13 July 1958|
|Rebuilt||29 January 2007|
The original Laburnum station had two platforms with a substantial brick building on Platform 1, and a small brick shelter on Platform 2.
The Middleborough Road Grade Separation Project involved lowering the line eight metres below Middleborough Road. This required the rebuilding of Laburnum station, and the removal of the bend in Laburnum Street beneath it. The station buildings were demolished in October 2006 with the new station opening on 29 January 2007. Provision was made for the future installation of a future third track.
Platforms & services
Toot Toot - Drive Slowly sign
Laburnum Station was once known for having a sign reading 'Toot Toot - drive slowly' under the railway bridge, which crosses Laburnum Street. Drivers would often sound their car horns, as instructed by the sign, to warn oncoming, but possibly unseen traffic that might be approaching the narrow underpass. Infuriated neighbours would frequently attempt to remove this sign by painting over it, but to no avail; the local council would restore this sign every time.
When the station was rebuilt following the 2007 grade separation, the road underpass was substantially widened and the sign was deemed unnecessary and removed for good. A plaque commemorating the sign and describing its history was erected, although it, too, has since been removed.
- Laburnum Vicsig
- "Middleborough Road Rail Separation". John Holland. Archived from the original on 2008-05-14. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Middleborough Road Project Vicsig
- Home Middleborough Road Rail Separation Project
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Belgrave Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Chris Gordon/Vicsig (16 September 2006). "Warning sign on the Laburnum Street bridge at Laburnum". Vicsigt. Retrieved 2013-05-09.
- Lawrence Money and Suzanne Carbone (24 October 2006). "Carbone & Money - Opinion". The Age. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Suzanne Carbone & Lawrence Money (6 October 2006). "Gone up in a puff of smoke". theage.com.au. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Chris Gordon/Vicsig (16 September 2007). "Historic information on the Toot Toot sign for Laburnum Street at Laburnum". Vicsig. Retrieved 2013-05-09.