Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
|Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk|
Japanese cover art
|Developer(s)||Nippon Ichi Software|
|Publisher(s)||Nippon Ichi Software|
|Genre(s)||Role-playing, dungeon crawler|
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk is a dungeon crawler role playing video game developed and published by Nippon Ichi Software. It was released in Japan in June 2016 for the PlayStation Vita and was released in September 2017 for the PlayStation 4. The game was released for an international release on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows in September 2018.
The player walks through the dungeon using a first-person view, which allows the player to navigate it in fixed increments. A dungeon is presented using simple 3D computer graphics. After a random encounter, the party of the player battles a group of monsters, which are presented as 2D sprites, in a turn-based battle. Because the player character is a book, the witch in the game creates dolls that do the fighting for the player. Dolls are sorted in six classes, so-called Facets: Aster Knights, Shinobushi, Theatrical Stars, Peer Fortresses, Marginal Mazes, and Mad Raptors. Wielding two-handed weapons, an Aster Knight is balanced in defending and attacking. Shinobushi specialize in speed and dual-wielding swords. Theatrical Stars use special weapons called Spell Bells, allowing them to support other characters in the party while not doing direct damage to opponents. Peer Fortresses are the tanks of the game. They have tough armor and can take heavy hits. Marginal Mazes use special spells called Donam, which they use for support of other party members. They also perform flame, mud, and fog-based attacks by using special weapons called Eclipse Stands. Mad Raptors use weapons called Hyakka Yumi that shoot out flame, mud, and fog-based attacks.
Set in the town Refrain, Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain revolves around a cursed underground labyrinth where people cannot survive very long. Despite that, a certain witch comes along and volunteers to explore the labyrinth. She is the owner of a legendary book called Youro Rekitei, which role the player fulfills. Together with the witch as their owner, the player challenges the dungeon.
Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain was first teased by Nippon Ichi Software through their annual Summer greeting card in July 2015 as Project Refrain. A full reveal followed a month later in Dengeki PlayStation. Originally scheduled for a Japanese release on January 28, 2016, the game got delayed to March 17 and later June 23 of that year. In February 2018, NIS America announced that the game will be localised into English and French and released in North America and Europe in the Fall of 2018. The international release adds versions for Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Windows. While the game was previously available in Japan for both the PlayStation Vita and the PlayStation 4, NIS America revealed they will only release the version for the latter platform in western territories.
The Japanese magazine Famitsu gave Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain a score of 32 out of 40 upon its Japanese release. According to Media Create, the game was the fifth best-selling game of the week in Japan, selling 17,573 physical copies. The game left chart after five weeks, when 42,519 copies were sold. In February 2017, Nippon Ichi Software CEO and the game's producer Souhei Niikawa said in an interview with 4Gamer.net that over 70,000 copies of the game were sold.
- Known in Japan as Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain (ルフランの地下迷宮と魔女ノ旅団 Refuran no Chika Meikyū to Majo no Ryodan)
- Romano, Sal (February 9, 2018). "Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk coming west for PS4, Switch, and PC this fall". Gematsu. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- Romano, Sal (12 June 2018). "Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk launches September 18 in North America, September 21 in Europe". Gematsu. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- Sato (April 19, 2016). "Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain Trailer Introduces Its Classes". Siliconera. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Sal Romano (July 24, 2015). "Nippon Ichi Software summer greeting card teases new dungeon RPG project Refrain". Gematsu. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Sal Romano (August 25, 2015). "Nippon Ichi's Refrain revealed for PS Vita". Gematsu. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Gobu (ゴブ蔵) (October 6, 2015). "日本一新作ダンジョンRPG『ルフランの地下迷宮と魔女ノ旅団』1月28日に発売決定！". Hachima Kikou. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Sato (November 18, 2015). "Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain Gets Delayed To March 17 In Japan". Siliconera. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Sal Romano (January 25, 2016). "Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain delayed to June 23 in Japan". Gematsu. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Potak (ポタク) (October 15, 2015). "【ファミ通クロスレビュー】PS4/XB1『バトルボーン』31点 Vita『カリギュラ』30点 PS4『バイオハザード アンブレラコア』36点 『Mighty No.9』30点など". Hachima Kikou. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "「牧場物語 3つの里の大切な友だち」10万本。「Caligula」「Minecraft: Wii U」「マリオ＆ソニック」など新作多数の「週間販売ランキング＋」". 4Gamer.net. June 29, 2016. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "日本向けタイトルのSteam展開って，どうなんですか？ 日本一ソフトウェアの新川社長に聞く，英語版配信の成果". 4Gamer.net. February 22, 2017. Retrieved March 29, 2017.
- Official website (in Japanese)