Lac Ste. Anne (electoral district)
1957 liquor plebiscite
|1957 Alberta liquor plebiscite results: Lac Ste. Anne|
|Question A: Do you approve additional types of outlets for the
sale of beer, wine and spirituous liquor subject to a local vote?
|Rejected, Spoiled and Declined||54|
|6,482 Eligible Electors, Turnout 33.97%|
On October 30, 1957 a stand alone plebiscite was held province wide in all 50 of the then current provincial electoral districts in Alberta. The government decided to consult Alberta voters to decide on liquor sales and mixed drinking after a divisive debate in the Legislature. The plebiscite was intended to deal with the growing demand for reforming antiquated liquor control laws.
The plebiscite was conducted in two parts. Question A asked in all districts, asked the voters if the sale of liquor should be expanded in Alberta, while Question B asked in a handful of districts within the corporate limits of Calgary and Edmonton asked if men and woman were allowed to drink together in establishments.
Province wide Question A of the plebiscite passed in 33 of the 50 districts while Question B passed in all five districts. Lac Ste. Anne voted in favour of the proposal with a landslide majority. Voter turnout in the district was poor, as it fell significantly below the province wide average of 46%.
Official district returns were released to the public on December 31, 1957. The Social Credit government in power at the time did not considered the results binding. However the results of the vote led the government to repeal all existing liquor legislation and introduce an entirely new Liquor Act.
Municipal districts lying inside electoral districts that voted against the Plebiscite were designated Local Option Zones by the Alberta Liquor Control Board and considered effective dry zones, business owners that wanted a license had to petition for a binding municipal plebiscite in order to be granted a license.
- Alberta Gazette 53 (December 31 ed.). Government of Alberta. 1957. pp. 2,247–2,249.
- "Albertans Vote 2 to 1 For More Liquor Outlets". Vol L No 273 (The Lethbridge Herald). October 31, 1957. pp. 1–2.
- "No Sudden Change In Alberta Drinking Habits Is Seen". Vol L No 267 (The Lethbridge Herald). October 24, 1957. p. 1.
- "Entirely New Act On Liquor". Vol LI No 72 (The Lethbridge Herald). March 5, 1958. p. 1.
- "Bill 81". Alberta Bills 12th Legislature 1st Session. Government of Alberta. 1958. p. 40.