17 April 1992 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Height||187 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||93 kg (14 st 9 lb)|
Lachlan Maranta (born 17 April 1992) is a professional Rugby union footballer who currently plays for the Queensland Reds of the Super Rugby. Maranta is a former Rugby League player for the Brisbane Broncos who primarily played as a winger and sometimes fullback, Maranta is the grandson of Broncos co-founder Barry Maranta.
Born in Brisbane, Queensland, Maranta grew up surrounded by rugby league. His grandfather, Barry, was a Brisbane Broncos co-founder, his father, Brett Plowman, played six seasons for the team and his mother, Robyn, was an assistant to then Broncos coach Wayne Bennett. A Broncos ball boy at age 5, Maranta started playing rugby league for the Wests Panthers. Lachlan attended St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace where he made numerous sporting honours. Apart from rugby Maranta was also a talented cricketer and exceptional track and field athlete while growing up, but made the choice to follow his league dream when he was 16. Maranta represented Queensland under 16's, under 18's and Queensland Schoolboys during his teenage years.
Maranta joined the Broncos Toyota Cup team in 2010 and played 30 games for them between 2010 and 2011. Despite still being eligible for the Toyota Cup in 2012, Maranta started playing for the Norths Devils in the Queensland Cup. While playing for the Devils, Maranta was called up to play fullback for Queensland against New South Wales in the inaugural Under 20's State of Origin at Penrith Stadium in the Maroons 18-14 loss.
In Round 14 of the 2012 NRL season, Maranta made his NRL debut for the Brisbane Broncos in against the Sydney Roosters on the wing, scoring a try and making 2 line breaks in the 40-22 win at SFS. In June 2012, Maranta was named at fullback in the Queensland Residents side against New South Wales Residents in the 20-14 win. Maranta finished the 2012 NRL season being named the Brisbane Broncos Rookie of the Year with him playing in 7 matches and scoring 2 tries his debut year in the NRL.
Maranta finished the 2013 NRL season with him playing in 18 matches and scoring 5 tries for the Broncos.
On 21 January 2015, Maranta was named in the Brisbane Broncos 2015 Auckland Nines squad. In Round 19 against the Wests Tigers, he scored a hat-trick in the Broncos' 42-16 win at Suncorp Stadium. He finished off the 2015 season as the Broncos' highest try-scorer with 15 tries in 20 matches. On 15 December, Maranta was named on interchange bench for the World All Stars to play against the Indigenous All Stars in 2016.
On 19 January, Maranta suffered a massive setback before the season after he fractured a bone in his wrist at training, robbing him of playing in the 2016 All Stars match. He was expected to miss about 10–12 weeks of football but made an early return in Round 4 in the grand final rematch against the North Queensland Cowboys in the Broncos' golden point 21-20 victory. After the match, Maranta spent his time playing in the Queensland Cup for the Norths Devils but succumbed to a knee injury and was ruled out for 8 weeks. Maranta returned for the Broncos for the second time in Round 12 against the Wests Tigers, scoring a try in the 19-18 loss.
In August, Maranta signed a 2-year deal with the Queensland Reds in the Super Rugby, switching over the 15-man code where he played the sport during his high school years. After the signing was announced, Maranta was subjected to criticism by former Wallabies player Greg Martin, labelling Maranta as the worst signing he has ever seen in his life. Martin also said on the Triple M Breakfast Radio Show, “If the Reds want to get a player who the Broncos ... sorry ... but if Wayne Bennett is prepared to get rid of his godson and his former PA’s son and Brett Plowman’s son in Lachie Maranta. If he’s prepared to get rid of him, that would indicate that he’s a crap player. The Reds immediately snapped him up and crowed about it. That is the worst signing I’ve ever seen. It’s the last thing the Reds need because there is something that Queensland Rugby has got everywhere through youth rugby, through schools rugby, is exciting young wingers and we pick up a dud who the Broncos want to get rid of because he’s had a knee injury". Maranta finished his last season with the Broncos with him playing in 8 matches and scoring 3 tries.
- "Lachlan Maranta - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Love of Club Boils in Maranta's Blood". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Junior Rugby League News JUNE 2010 ARCHIVES". Ourfootyteam.com. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Six Broncos in Queensland Under 20s State of Origin Team". Foxsports.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "NSW Secure an Impressive Victory over Queensland". Foxpsorts.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Roosters v Broncos". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Queensland Residents team named". NRL.com. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Qld Residents win Origin curtain-raiser". Wwos.ninemsn.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Lachlan Maranta and Jarrod Wallace Sign Two Year Extensions with Broncos". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "BRONCOS UNVEIL 2015 NINES SQUAD". Rugby League Week. 2015-01-21. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Brisbane Thump Bottom Placed Tigers". Foxsports.com.au. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Custom Match List". Rugby League Project. 2015-10-18. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Teams named for NRL All Stars match". NRL.com. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Home | Live Scores & Latest News". Fox Sports. 2014-12-19. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Brisband Broncos Lachlan Maranta to Make an Impact on His Return From Injury". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Broncos get extra time revenge". News.com.au. 2016-03-25. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Latest Training News Ahead of Round 7 Clash". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Lachlan Maranta out of NRL for up to 8 weeks". Skynewssport.com.au. 2015-11-05. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- Martin, Neil (2016-05-27). "Wests Tigers star Mitchell Moses swears live on air after NRL win over Broncos... as Channel Nine suffers yet ANOTHER broadcast blunder | Daily Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- Vince Rugari (2016-10-13). "Rugby: Maranta joins former NRL stars Hunt Nabuli and Timu at Reds - Yahoo7". Au.sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Lachlan Maranta Queensland Reds: Broncos signing is ‘worst I have ever seen’". News.com.au. 2016-09-01. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Former Wallaby Greg Martin Brands Broncos Winger Lachlan Maranta the Worst Signing He Has Seen". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2016-12-05.